2 stroke oil to fuel ratio

chrismechanic

We use car lube 2t ( about £8 a gallon) at a ratio of 25:1 in all the saws husky or stihl and have never had a problem . To avoid confusion we use the same mix in all the strimmers , hedge cutters and blowers which I know is wrong but I feel a tad to much is better than not enough.

Mixing 2 Stroke Fuel | STIHL

Bob

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We use car lube 2t ( about £8 a gallon) at a ratio of 25:1 in all the saws husky or stihl and have never had a problem . To avoid confusion we use the same mix in all the strimmers , hedge cutters and blowers which I know is wrong but I feel a tad to much is better than not enough.

Mixing 2 Stroke Fuel | STIHL

Bob

From every thing that has been said on here I would say a tad too much is not so good !

But as below from Stihl its what is recommended. Coupled to the fact we have had no failures related to lubricants in 30 years is it really a problem?

Bob

When using STIHL 2 stroke lubricant:

Mix at 50:1 (20mls oil per 1 litre fuel)

When using any other brand of air cooled 2 stroke:

Mix at 25:1 (40mls oil per 1 litre fuel)

As petrol has limited shelf life, always mix with fresh regular unleaded, purchased from a reputable large volume fuel supplier

But as below from Stihl its what is recommended. Coupled to the fact we have had no failures related to lubricants in 30 years is it really a problem?

Bob

As petrol has limited shelf life, always mix with fresh regular unleaded, purchased from a reputable large volume fuel supplier

No problem at all, if you are having no problems.

The Stihl statement applies very well to the product you are using, and covers their rear end very nicely.

It is a bit unfair however to those other brands of oil which are equally as good as Stihl oils. Using those oils (or Stihl's ) at 25:1 would cause problems.

Bob

Its the " when using any other brand " bit that's wrong . Some are as good or better than Stihl ......

Its the " when using any other brand " bit that's wrong . Some are as good or better than Stihl ......

Because of this thread I have had a look at the spec/grade of oil that stihl recommend and car lube meets the requirement . API,TC . JASO FB Considering the amount we use and the fact we have had no problems I think I will stick with it. At £8 a gallon vs stihl prices someone needs to come up with a valid argument for me to change my mind.

Bob

http://www.dhequipment.com/Stihl_info/WhyBuyOilScreen.pdf

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142424&stc=1&d=1386445789

597667506c905_oil011.jpg.90f2f08551058861bf030dfeb004b188.jpg

Edited by aspenarb

Because of this thread I have had a look at the spec/grade of oil that stihl recommend and car lube meets the requirement . API,TC . Considering the amount we use and the fact we have had no problems I think I will stick with it. At £8 a gallon vs stihl prices someone needs to come up with a valid argument for me to change my mind.

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=142424&stc=1&d=1386445789

Thats cool . Go for it / stick with it . Be happy ...:001_smile: