The t540xp Thread.

Old Mill Tree Care

Mark, I can't even get it to run full throttle never mind for five minutes. This saw has been out on demo with several different crews so I don't know why just us. Apparently though we are the first to get it after it was sent back so maybe the original problem wasn't actually fixed.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Must be something to do with being south of the equator ! Vortex going the other way perhaps ? Seriously though there seems to be a big problem where you are and not over here . Don't know why . Sorry .

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the rear AV spring problems are due to people dropping the saw on the lanyard. Surely it is not designed as a fall arrestor but exclusively as an AV spring.

Also I think that every comment about the t540 verses the old 200t is a wasted post. The 200t is out of production and the only competitor for the t540 is the 201t. Just a thought.

I wonder if the rear AV spring problems are due to people dropping the saw on the lanyard. Surely it is not designed as a fall arrestor but exclusively as an AV spring.

Also I think that every comment about the t540 verses the old 200t is a wasted post. The 200t is out of production and the only competitor for the t540 is the 201t. Just a thought.

I know. I was hoping the 540 would be equal or better. its close tho and the clear winner over the 201.

I know. I was hoping the 540 would be equal or better. its close tho and the clear winner over the 201.

I think it's more of a 50/50 split with the 540 vs 200t, some people find it better, some don't, I think it's down to the operator at the end of the day, some people bed engines in better than others

I've also got a very strong 540. Often it's starting from only one pull.

One thing that sprung to mind is if the issues the NZ boys are having with it are caused by local temps being high?

My 550 is great from around maybe 18C downwards. But during some really hot days in the very high 20C's it was an absolute pig to the point if leaving it in the truck. I only got the 540 in September when the temps were coming down so no chance to see if it does the same.

So what temps are you boys at down under, and was it hot when you were trialling the saws?

That is what I think is causing it anyways . On my second spring now and that is just starting to kink . See the pic of the first one in my post above ....

I think it all boils back down to what you use the saw for.

For my regular pruning I use the zubat and the 536LiXP.

For the take downs I use the 540. That saw is fitted with a 40cm/16inch bar. That's a combo I would NEVER have opted for on any Stihl tophandle.

So please stop referring to the 200 as if it's the best tophandle ever.

The Stihl 020AV was still the best saw ever in the arborists truck for the first five years the 200 was on the market. It took years to forget the 020 and to get over the crappy build of the 200. Years later the 200 got a mayor overhaul and 'all' was better. Please stop over hyping the 200.

Stihl recently gave it's 201 finally the factory overhaul it needed and is up to par with the 540. Both saws are better than the 200!

Here is a photo of my bar. The oil hole isn't 'open' IMO because the middle piece of metal is in the way.

Boo.

I will now drill it a bit to see if that helps. Back in 5 minutes.

[ATTACH]143252[/ATTACH]

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

You'll be better using a diamond dremel bit