The t540xp Thread.

Old Mill Tree Care

We've just got one back for the second time to trial and yet again it farts and splutters and bogs down after start up. Last time we took it back apparently someone had put the wrong fuel in it. We run 95 octane premium unleaded in all of our gear including our other Husky with no issues. Is the 540 different? Should we be running 91 Octane and if so, why would it make such a difference to the running. Sorry if it's a dumb question but we are at a loss as to why it won't run.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I am no expert but would have thought the higher the octane rating the better ? Mine runs like a trooper . You do have to rev it hard the first time you start it . Hold it wide open for a few seconds and you will hear the revs just creep up as the carb adjusts . If you leave it for more than a few minutes it need choke on the the first pull . Also if you run it right out of fuel you will need to get it going and rev it hard in fresh air till the revs come up again .

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am no expert but would have thought the higher the octane rating the better ? Mine runs like a trooper . You do have to rev it hard the first time you start it . Hold it wide open for a few seconds and you will hear the revs just creep up as the carb adjusts . If you leave it for more than a few minutes it need choke on the the first pull . Also if you run it right out of fuel you will need to get it going and rev it hard in fresh air till the revs come up again .

Done all of that stubby. Can't even get it to rev flat knacker after choke. Try it with choke, without choke etc and nothing. I started out with it up a tree yesterday. The first ten minutes, running 95, it ran well but then it started to play up so I changed over to a 192t. Filled up the husky this morning, fired it up and after about 15 attempts to get it going, gave up and went back to a 200t. We had exactly the same problem last time.

Done all of that stubby. Can't even get it to rev flat knacker after choke. Try it with choke, without choke etc and nothing. I started out with it up a tree yesterday. The first ten minutes, running 95, it ran well but then it started to play up so I changed over to a 192t. Filled up the husky this morning, fired it up and after about 15 attempts to get it going, gave up and went back to a 200t. We had exactly the same problem last time.

Crazy . I get where you are coming from . Just don't understand why there seem to be regional/different country , problems . Like on the 550 thread the guy in the states has never heard of a running problem yet we seem to have loads . Strange .

When you get it back to the shop do they run it up in front of you ? Or do you just leave it .....

First time we left it with them. They didn't seem that interested in looking at it there and then for us but just kinda shrugged and said leave it with us.They sent it back to HO in Auckland as it was a trial saw being given a run through a couple of different outfits. That was about three months ago. Just got it back for the second shot. We asked what was wrong first time and the local place just said it was dodgy fuel. They wouldn't or couldn't expand any further. I hate to be picky but this is exactly why we choose Stihl over husky in NZ ( generally speaking). The service we get from the Stihl rep is top notch. Not so much from husky.

First time we left it with them. They didn't seem that interested in looking at it there and then for us but just kinda shrugged and said leave it with us.They sent it back to HO in Auckland as it was a trial saw being given a run through a couple of different outfits. That was about three months ago. Just got it back for the second shot. We asked what was wrong first time and the local place just said it was dodgy fuel. They wouldn't or couldn't expand any further. I hate to be picky but this is exactly why we choose Stihl over husky in NZ ( generally speaking). The service we get from the Stihl rep is top notch. Not so much from husky.

Know what you mean about last bit!! We had a trial one Nd thought it was ok. We've now actually got one of our own and it's not great at the momment. We assumed I may just need a tune on the lappy toppy or something but the shop said it won't need tuning it's just dirty filters! So yep ours does similar to yours can be a pain to start splutters all the time etc. The 201 believe it or not comes out first compared to it!

Know what you mean about last bit!! We had a trial one Nd thought it was ok. We've now actually got one of our own and it's not great at the momment. We assumed I may just need a tune on the lappy toppy or something but the shop said it won't need tuning it's just dirty filters! So yep ours does similar to yours can be a pain to start splutters all the time etc. The 201 believe it or not comes out first compared to it!

This is totally arse about over here in "good old blighty " ! The T540 saws used here are not " trial saw though " they are production run saws . We have a 201 and the T540 is bloody light years ahead of it .......

This is totally arse about over here in "good old blighty " ! The T540 saws used here are not " trial saw though " they are production run saws . We have a 201 and the T540 is bloody light years ahead of it .......

yeah its still no 200t tho. we had them head to head today 200 won easy