Stump grinder engine honda gx390

ukminch

Went out today to a grinding job with my little grinder. I'd lent to to someone I know who had had it stored outside (water relevant?)

Came to start it starter cord seized solid, quickly released it was a compression lock, somehow? Took spark plug out pulled it over cleaned plug, replaced, and repeated until it eventually started. Ran for about 10mins then cutout with a load of white smoke everywhere.

I assumed some water had got in hot piston, cold water cracked piston, pulled head off this eve and found it looks ok with shiny bore still. Attached a couple of piccies of the milky oil (Oil in sump is this colour to)

Have I just got water in there, oil change and all will be good, or do I need to pull it apart further and check the piston rings, or any other good ideas

Cheers in advance

R

photo(6).jpg.f18fa0a6cfa45074193c2a7ad105d8f1.jpg

photo(5).jpg.1c5cf3a4a3e3cf65e545ae985445856c.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep swap the oil, run and change again.

seems like water in oil. not sure how unless it got really soaked and got into the breather.

also check the valves over aswell. if they have got rust on they can destroy the guides or seats.

hondas are relatively bomb proof, the bore looks clean.

Nope air filter is bone dry, bore is indeed how I'd expect it to be, valves seem fine, time for an oil change, what oil is it in the GX390? Only place I can see that water could have got in is through the exhaust, must have just been at an unlucky angle.

Im presuming if I'd knackered a piston ring the bore would be scored?

Cheers guys I'll let you know how I get on, probably be the weekend though now :-(

R

To have water on top the piston is one thing, but to have oil and water is another

For this to happen the engine must have been on its side, or partly submerged.

Whatever the cause, drain it out , refill with a 10w 30 or similar oil, see if it will start (bearing in mind the carb and fuel tank may also be contaminated)

If it starts, run it for about 5 minutes and change the oil again. Repeat this until the oil stays clear.

Thats deffo water in oil jet washed off maybe ?? and as its only a small engine would only need a small amount of water to emulsify the oil ie frothy oil syndrome if its hydraulic,ed just check the piston sits at the top i,e bent a con rod hope not and all works out ok for you. also in the pictures does the breather return from crank case to air filter if so thats poss how its got onto/into the bore etc