pulley system VS prussik system

monkey boy

I use a helical hitch with a pulley. never used a prussic without a pulley, don't see why you would want to. With a pulley you can use one hand to take in slack.

One thought though, most prussic pulleys and redircet pulleys are for 12mm rope but the majority of climbing ropes are 1/2 inch(12.5mm) or 13mm.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thought though, most prussic pulleys and redircet pulleys are for 12mm rope but the majority of climbing ropes are 1/2 inch(12.5mm) or 13mm.

i think that is changing quite a bit now and a lot of people are climbing on thinner ropes as they are lighter and nicer to work with.

i climb on a prussik, dont really like a pulley that much, but i do want to give a lock/spiderjack a go.:001_cool:

Matty, lets set up a workshop for these dinosaurs and make our fortunes!

Apart from Mick Stockbridge. On that bike I reckon he could get to Ashford and chin me in about 25 minutes....:001_cool:

Moi chin someone, perish the thought. I,m up for learning, but its probably too late for me. At first I agreed with Barney with the rythmn thing. But when I think about it, if I,d have known the VT thing when I started off all those years ago, ie: pulling hand over hand, I might not have a buggered shoulder n elbow and a bigger than left right arm. Shame my "Men of Kent" thread fell flat on its face.:001_smile:

I have a concern about the hand over hand method. I've seen climbers advance themselves up the tree in this way using a VT and a pulley and unless I'm mistaken if you go up a bit and have to let go (for want of an example because you get a load of wasps attacking you), then you are going to free fall at least the distance of the slack. If the VT doesn't grab you've had it.

I have a concern about the hand over hand method. I've seen climbers advance themselves up the tree in this way using a VT and a pulley and unless I'm mistaken if you go up a bit and have to let go (for want of an example because you get a load of wasps attacking you), then you are going to free fall at least the distance of the slack. If the VT doesn't grab you've had it.

That's where the slack tending properties of the lockjack come in and the tendency to migrate toward thinner ropes weighing less, doesn't help with self tending

That's where the slack tending properties of the lockjack come in and the tendency to migrate toward thinner ropes weighing less, doesn't help with self tending

I,ve had a go on a lockjack and I would,nt trust my life on it. After all its just a bit of machinery, would you whole heartedly trust a shotgun safety catch ?

I,ve had a go on a lockjack and I would,nt trust my life on it. After all its just a bit of machinery, would you whole heartedly trust a shotgun safety catch ?

I can fully understand where you are coming from Mick, that little thin peice of aluminium you are hanging off ??

Modern metals are phenominally strong, that little peice of metal which is thinner than a pencil will lift two new minis

It takes a while to get to trust the technology but it's a bit like Garlic bread, "It's the future" Mick