Sharpening a Hycrack cone?

njc110381

Hi guys. I've just picked up a well used but working Hycrack HC1 to save my back a little this firewood season. All seems well with it but I think the cone is a bit blunt? I've read on here somewhere that one of you sharpens yours with a triangle file so I had a bit of a go at it, but decided I should ask here beofre I get too carried away...

I'm copying the original profile of the threads, so a 90 degree step on the pulling face and a taper on the point side of the thread to allow it to pull in more easily and also make a nice sharp edge. Is that right?

Even on my little Kubota compact it has already split a few logs that had been thrown to one side because the axe just bounced off of them. I've stalled the tractor a couple of times but only because I've expected too much of it. I'm running just about double figure HP on my little machine.... I need a Unimog!:laugh1:

Probably me who mentioned a triangular file. It's the sort for sharpening conventional hand saw and I found it worked very well. I just sharpened at the angles that are on the cone from new. Just a light tickle every now and again. I have sold the Hycrack now but never had to change the tip in the years we had it and new buyer was happy with how it performed when we sold it.

Thanks chaps.

I had a look on the Hycrack site and found the spare tips. I was thinking that if all else fails I can buy one, but if I can get it to sharpen up ok I'll most likely not bother. I quite enjoy messing about with kit like this!

I've got as far as getting the tip really sharp - I could easily cut myself on it now where as before it was quite rounded. The lucky part is that the point hadn't been snapped off, as it seems that can be common on well used machines?

Now all I need are some roll pins to attach the cone to the shaft. Where it had got a bit rusty (kept outside I think) they sheared off quite easily. Does anyone know the size off hand?

Thanks chaps.

I had a look on the Hycrack site and found the spare tips. I was thinking that if all else fails I can buy one, but if I can get it to sharpen up ok I'll most likely not bother. I quite enjoy messing about with kit like this!

I've got as far as getting the tip really sharp - I could easily cut myself on it now where as before it was quite rounded. The lucky part is that the point hadn't been snapped off, as it seems that can be common on well used machines?

Now all I need are some roll pins to attach the cone to the shaft. Where it had got a bit rusty (kept outside I think) they sheared off quite easily. Does anyone know the size off hand?

I just got Hycrack to send me some as local farm supplies did not stock them. They where pretty cheap and fair with the postage. I got some spares as they are a deliberate weak spot as a fail safe.

Thanks. I've emailed them as these parts aren't listed on their website.

I'm not sure if it's an older model, but the PTO shaft is also connected at the splitter end by a round fitting with a pin through it, rather than a conventional 6 spline type thing. Are these PTO shafts specific to Hycrack kit or do other machines use them too? I've only ever seen kit with a 6 spline fitting?

Probably me who mentioned a triangular file. It's the sort for sharpening conventional hand saw and I found it worked very well. I just sharpened at the angles that are on the cone from new. Just a light tickle every now and again. I have sold the Hycrack now but never had to change the tip in the years we had it and new buyer was happy with how it performed when we sold it.

Hi wood works, just out of interest what did you get for your hycrack? I have the hc1 with larger base and it's only done 30 hours max. Looking to sell it so would be interested to know. Thanks

is the round pin not a shear pin ?

It is a shear pin. Seems a bit silly though that it couldn't be engineered so that the cone pins shear when stressed? Why the need for two lots of pins? Or more importantly, a special PTO shaft?!

Fair play to Hycrack though I emailed them last night and have got a reply already. Prices are very fair - a quid plus vat per shear pin and £1.50 each for the cone pins... I think I'll buy half a dozen just in case!