Cooking oil.

Gerbutt

Hiya

What sort of cooking oil is best to use as chain oil? The reason for this, I have an ms150t and it's oiler is useless. I put a bit of petrol in the tank as recommended to flush it out and whilst it was in there I struck it up and the petrol came out fine! Once I'd tipped the petrol out and filled it back up with chain oil it refused to oil again! I thought maybe the oil was to thick so I put some sunflower oil in and it's oiling fine again! I did hear somewhere though that one sort of cooking oil can congeal when it's cold so I was wondering which is best?

Thanks

Ger

Cheers, I've just read that normal vegetable oil is rapeseed oil, just not as expensive!?

I have thought about taking it back but it's a brand new saw, they all seem to have the same problem, so the oiler would only be getting changed for another one that didn't work...probably!

I did think about what you've said about starting it with petrol in and it didn't really bother me. Now I've heard you say it it's made me realise it was a bit dodgy, so won't be doing that again!

If you've run veg oil in your pump and now normal oil won't work, it's very simple- the oil is congealing in your pump. Solvents such as petrol will not do much at all to clear this. The answer is to run near boiling water through your pump. You will see the globules of oil come out in the stream of water.

Any veg oil is fine for bar lube. And any veg oil has a tendency to congeal especially when cold. That's why if you run straight veg oil in a diesel car, it's common place to fit a preheater just before the injection pump.

I hadn't run veg oil first, just had a go with it because normal oil wouldn't come through. It's handy knowing about the water though so thanks for that.

I may nip in the shop where I got it from and enquire about a new oiler, just don't want to be without the saw for a few weeks just to find it's exactly the same afterwards!

Cheers, I've just read that normal vegetable oil is rapeseed oil, just not as expensive!?

NOOOO!!!!

Rapeseed oil is vegetable oil. Vegetable oil can be anything!

You can NOT use any vegetable oil. Only rapeseed oil has the right 'specs'.

Here are some pointers for first use. Unfortunately to late.

Don't mix bio oil with petrol. Things can go nasty. You could end up with a gummy sticky sludge clogging your tank.

Don't mix rapeseed oil with petroleum based chain oil.

Empty your oil tank. Fill it with rapeseed oil and start using it directly.

While you're at it, get Aspen 2 to fill up the other tank.

Edited by Treespotter

If you've run veg oil in your pump and now normal oil won't work, it's very simple- the oil is congealing in your pump. Solvents such as petrol will not do much at all to clear this. The answer is to run near boiling water through your pump. You will see the globules of oil come out in the stream of water.

Any veg oil is fine for bar lube. And any veg oil has a tendency to congeal especially when cold. That's why if you run straight veg oil in a diesel car, it's common place to fit a preheater just before the injection pump.

i didnt know about the boiling water thats a great tip, i bought a saw that hasnt been used for years and it wasnt oiling all gunged up took ages to get it clear :thumbup::thumbup: