ever feel somethings not right

Rod

climbed a medium sized sycamore today in quite strong wind, when it blew in the wind it had a strange feel to it, rather than the normal sway and sway back it had a "bump" or a "nocking"

got the tree done useing plan b and then c. once it was down i cut it up and culd see nothing realy wrong (other than half of its roots had been dug out by builders).

i have had simmilar in the past. i reacon that 90% of the time when you think there is something wrong from the feel of the tree there is.

dose anyone else think the same or am i just going mad

climbed a medium sized sycamore today in quite strong wind, when it blew in the wind it had a strange feel to it, rather than the normal sway and sway back it had a "bump" or a "nocking"

got the tree done useing plan b and then c. once it was down i cut it up and culd see nothing realy wrong (other than half of its roots had been dug out by builders).

i have had simmilar in the past. i reacon that 90% of the time when you think there is something wrong from the feel of the tree there is.

dose anyone else think the same or am i just going mad

100% rod, its like when you take the top out of a tree, no more sway, i have learned about this job on the tools, no college and not many books. when folk ask me questions i struggle to answer them, you just get the feel for it. i think you can think too much about things, gutt feeling is what i rely on. especially in our job, because there arent too many second chances. :001_smile:

Yep, know where your coming from. Sometimes a tree just doesn’t feel right, no particular reason, just get the bad vibes.:sad:

i did 2 oaks the other day, they had been left as a 20 foot poles covered in ivy about 6years ago, i felled the first one, still really green inside, i had to climb the second, after wrestling over the ivy for about 10 feet, the tree was 'wobbly' now i would expect that a wee bit but this was lifting, i couldnt see because the ground was 3 feet deep in ivy and old brash. needless to say, i never climbed much further and just thumped it off in big bits then felled it. this one was almost completely dead inside:sad::001_smile:

You definitely get to feel or read trees- climbed a sketchy juniper a couple of months back, knew it felt weird, but couldnt describe that feeling. When the trunk hit the deck it pretty much shattered. Like you say- didnt sway quite right!

Rod you're not going mad, mate. (Well you might be, but not on this topic).

Climbed a dead Willow last year. Aiming to get to a fork and lower each stem off itself. Got about 5 feet below the fork and the whole tree was moving and sounding really strange. Called the client out and said I could come down and not charge him, or launch the whole head into his apple tree. Did this and the Willow blew into about 1000 bits and the apple was undamaged. Still shudder when I think what would have happened if I'd gone for my original plan.....

Gut=Good

Yeah some trees are a joy to climb and seem to have loads of anchor points and foot holds . Then you have the trees that are out to get you . I always treat every tree with respect 12 ft / 70 ft . Swear down some trees just dont want you there . Must be age or may be i,m just paranoid .:confused1: