couples Q's chains or ropes?

MOG

So with the winter coming and more crane felling coming. i am wondering more and more what is better?

We do lots of crane jobs and only use chains. we have 3 different sizes. 2.5m/ 3.5m/ 4.5m/ which are all adjustable very easily. which is pretty good for everything until you get to BIG stuff then its a pain to work with them.

you lose the height/liner for the piece,sometimes too small. also the hooks turn up sometime and cant take ages for it turn round the right way, or sometimes you just cant stop it. anyways....

i would like to know people opinions for and against of each. obviously not stating the obvious like weight, rubbing on the road etc. also i would like to convince my boss to use ropes/slings for the very big stuff but i will need some better facts.

Thanks MOG

The crane company I use only allows the use of chains. Best to let them bring their own too and they can worry about their own certification on them.

Slings would be so much nicer/easier, the chains are a total pain to try and balance limbs with and hard on the hands on a cold day!

Come to think of it, i'd love a crane job to do! Boo hoo!

I've never craned off big sections Matt, so I can't help much but when winching I prefer slings. They usually show it if their strength has been compromised, whereas chains usually don't.

Dans right about slipping though, chains do bite better.

Notching sides has helped this when we are pulling stumps.

yeah true, i mean the textile ones we are all talking slip and yeah notching can work but then you create a sharp edge which also cuts/ tears the slings. they are very prone to that.

but i was thinking more 20mm/22mm rope, good old knots. obviously reduce strength but so does tucking the chain round the stem and choking it off and side loading the hook. but yes with big weights you can see the inprint of the chain against the stem. yeah loads compaines will only use chains, but i think there has to be more to it...