eds wood shop, alaskan mill time

WoodED

recived my mill a feww weeks ago and didnt waste anytime in getting it out, i planked a few bit of cherry and started makig my first bench, am waiting on the mini mill to arrive to make set sized boards so i improvised using a flat edge and a circular saw, i kept the bench top looking as natral as possible but rounded of all the sides without taking away from the shape of the board,

:thumbup:

076.jpg.e9c6f1d50c07d770aeac1ddfa82523ca.jpg

075.jpg.c7b102f6184db58aad7d645b28714e81.jpg

072.jpg.444b2a0d4f40041807c8508394e987d2.jpg

071.jpg.b78ee60988823ab4ee1614588bd80320.jpg

070.jpg.6858da795d80da503c89b5422fb22abd.jpg

054.jpg.d34df81e5e156c51c8a645b03ed29886.jpg

040.jpg.30e0484eaa314a1b4180eb88c5687f3f.jpg

038.jpg.509f77ac3a6d6980f987660d2e2634a5.jpg

036.jpg.de709378081a095d5e8eb0428e955100.jpg

035.jpg.9e85648f97251b8a7d12db7110099336.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the rounded off board (top I presume) that should come out looking really nice when finished - are you going for oil or varnish?

Have you done much to the board surfaces between milling and the close-ups in the workshop? If not the finish on your milled boards looks excellent, which would suggest you have got the knack of holding it level and stopping any digging in, and that your chain is really sharp and even - out of interest which chain are you using?

Look forward to seeing the finished result.

The scale of your ladder to log does amuse me though:001_smile:

Alec

Judging by the rounded off board (top I presume) that should come out looking really nice when finished - are you going for oil or varnish?

Have you done much to the board surfaces between milling and the close-ups in the workshop? If not the finish on your milled boards looks excellent, which would suggest you have got the knack of holding it level and stopping any digging in, and that your chain is really sharp and even - out of interest which chain are you using?

Look forward to seeing the finished result.

The scale of your ladder to log does amuse me though:001_smile:

Alec

Did have to but a belt sander but the cut was pritty good to be honest, I rounded of the sides using a power plane and the belt sander and finished of the top with a random orbital sander. Was just a full chisel crosscut chain as the milling chain I bought for the big Makita was too big, seemed to go pritty well but I did sit and watch a lot of rob d's milling videos befor I bought the mill, it's pritty addictive to, I was thinking teak oil but am gona sand an off cut and play with that,

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I dont mean to sound picky, but id hate to see the work uve put into it wrecked by not placing some pieces of wood etc between that great looking piece and the vice holding it down to the work bench.

Seeing your results does make me wanna try some milling 👍