My log pricing this year

gensetsteve

Cost of cord in a cube of logs is about £40 buying Ash + Syc delivered.

Those selling this at £70 a cube are simply loosing money or buying market share, I have come across 2 instances this week of logs being delivered locally from 30 miles away at £65 and £70 a cube including VAT. Busy fools in my book.

I have never been so busy selling stoves, its manic, so demand for logs will increase significantly over the next few years, there is no need to murder prices.

A

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it for years once you start getting machinery and therefore fuel involved above that for the chainsaw and buying timber in there is little or no margin left, it goes back to the old thing of firewood has always been sold on the basis of it being a cheaper form of heating than gas or coal, years ago when I got timber as perks of the job from hedgelaying or windblown from clearing fencelines it was a worth while job to be in as you could process it and sell it at a price people were happy to pay

I sell between £60-£70 a cubic metre delivered no VAT. I buy timber standing at £10 a tonne to have it delivered to my yard it costs me approximately £10 per tonne. When I buy it from a local estate I tend to cut process on site and I make a very good living at it.

So if cord costs £20 a tonne delivered in someone is making a lot of money because its now £60 a tonne and someone has normally picked all the processor sized stuff out.

I sell between £60-£70 a cubic metre delivered no VAT. I buy timber standing at £10 a tonne to have it delivered to my yard it costs me approximately £10 per tonne. When I buy it from a local estate I tend to cut process on site and I make a very good living at it.

£10 standing £10 delivery where's the felling and extraction price even doing it yourself you have to put a figure on it

There's a guy in the Thames Valley - not exactly a cheap logs area! - that sells his for £75/m3 of hardwood, or £69/m3 for two. Crazy prices. I'm tempted to check out his product for quality - if it's as good as my own and the quantities are correct, I might as well just stop processing my own and resell his!

There's a guy in the Thames Valley - not exactly a cheap logs area! - that sells his for £75/m3 of hardwood, or £69/m3 for two. Crazy prices. I'm tempted to check out his product for quality - if it's as good as my own and the quantities are correct, I might as well just stop processing my own and resell his!

I had similar thoughts myself,

A|

I have tried this a few times. When you collect they look like they are chewing lemons. They either half fill the truck, its 38% or full of crap. I nearly bought two ro ro skip fulls a few years ago about 80 cu metres but when it came to invoice time they wanted the retail public price then put another 20% vat on. I left them to drive it all round the country side dropping a metre at a time.

£10 standing £10 delivery where's the felling and extraction price even doing it yourself you have to put a figure on it

I don't have to put a figure on it if I was selling on I would. the way I look at it if I earn £20,000 a year in wages it is good enough. in the season I deliver approximately 6 m³ a day and I start at 8 o'clock and I'm normally home by 2:30 to 3 o'clock five days a week. In the summer I tend to start earlier but finish same time

I have tried this a few times. When you collect they look like they are chewing lemons. They either half fill the truck, its 38% or full of crap. I nearly bought two ro ro skip fulls a few years ago about 80 cu metres but when it came to invoice time they wanted the retail public price then put another 20% vat on. I left them to drive it all round the country side dropping a metre at a time.

I would be quite happy for you to drop a roll on roll off container the price would still be the same because I'm not VAT registered and at the moment I'm only selling ash because that's all I've got. but you would have to wait some time for me to fill the bin.