550 xp

Cov Climber

How the heck can Husky's 'AutoTune' be so far behind Stihl's M-tronic?

I read on hear somewhere that Husky make the M-tronic carbs for Stihl ......Also with the Husky you don't have to take anything apart and put it back together you basically just start it and cut . Why Stihl did not do it like that God knows ......

Edited by Stubby

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read on hear somewhere that Husky make the M-tronic carbs for Stihl ......Also with the Husky you don't have to take anything apart and put it back together you basically just start it and cut . Why Stihl did not do it like that God knows ......

Yep. Husky do make the M-tronic module thingy. But even taking off & refitting the b+c, with 30secs. of running at idle in between, is quite a bit easier, than finding "a thick log" to spend 3-5 minutes of non-stop cutting at "full throttle... for the entire time", that a Husky needs for calibration.

I find it akin to two fighter jet manufacturers making similar aircraft. But one choosing to only release their bi-planes into the market. There must be a good reason why the Euro Fighter wasn't made be Airfix.

Edited by TGB

Yep. Husky do make the M-tronic module thingy. But even taking off & refitting the b+c, with 30secs. of running at idle in between, is quite a bit easier, than finding "a thick log" to spend 3-5 minutes cutting at "full throttle... for the entire time", that Husky needs for calibration.

I find it akin to two fighter jet manufacturers making similar aircraft. But one choosing to only release their bi-planes into the market. There must be a good reason why the Euro Fighter wasn't made be Airfix.

Whilst you are taking bits off , idelling for 30secs , and then putting bits on again you are cutting wood with the Husky ........ Like we are in the play ground again :biggrin:

Yep. Husky do make the M-tronic module thingy. But even taking off & refitting the b+c, with 30secs. of running at idle in between, is quite a bit easier, than finding "a thick log" to spend 3-5 minutes of non-stop cutting at "full throttle... for the entire time", that a Husky needs for calibration.

haha brilliant

Whilst you are taking bits off , idelling for 30secs , and then putting bits on again you are cutting wood with the Husky ........ Like we are in the play ground again :biggrin:

I grant you have a fair point there. Cutting is better than idling.

However, I cut in a number if differing locations and can easily change attitude by more than 1000ft from one day's cutting to the next. Also, there may be thick logs in one place and small trees in the next.

Now I admit I've only calibrated the saw the once and thus far fingers & toes crossed, all is good. But I sometimes wonder, would the saw be cutting better if I could calibrate it every different day.

Edited by TGB

However, I cut in a number if differing locations and can easily change attitude by more than 1000ft from one day's cutting to the next. Also, there may be thick logs in one place and small trees in the next.

Now I admit I've only calibrated the saw the once and thus far fingers & toes crossed, all is good. But I sometimes wonder, would the saw be cutting better if I could calibrate it every different day.

As I understand it after the initial set up from out of the box you don't need to worry . I think it is continually adjusting its self to the cutting conditions / I have a 560 and the new T540 . The 560 has been set up once in 2011 when I got it and never since . The T540 had to be done once when my mate ran it right out of fuel but since then its been fine . I don't think its such a big deal really ......

Are you really working in different locations with an altitude difference of a thousand feet??

Thats a heck of a lot!

You dont need to get too hung up on the calibration. It sorts itself out and the difference in adjustment is quite small.

Im not very familiar with m-tronic but it used to be the case (may be different now so anyone wiser than me please chip in lol), but m-tronic only controls the high jet whereas autotune is controlling the idle and low jet also.

If you do feel the need to recalibrate the saw but dont have a larger diameter log, just do an end grain bore cut to full depth...is the same affect .... You just need to run the saw under load.

Just use and enjoy...550 is awesome for its cc.

:)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

As I said, I have to admit to only having calibrated the saw once. After looking through the manual, such as it is, I got a bit worried, so I contacted the dealer who said to just work the saw and it only really needed to be done once.

So I worked it from new and I've not had a problem, despite cutting at differing altitudes. Also from new, it was on pump-mix. Shortly after 2-3 tanks, it went onto Aspen without missing a beat. I've also run it dry a number of times and after refuelling, it just starts up without fuss and carries on cutting. Despite how I view Stihl's 'M-tronic' as being easier to calibrate, I still like the Husky and am happy with it so far.

As I said, I have to admit to only having calibrated the saw once. After looking through the manual, such as it is, I got a bit worried, so I contacted the dealer who said to just work the saw and it only really needed to be done once.

So I worked it from new and I've not had a problem, despite cutting at differing altitudes. Also from new, it was on pump-mix. Shortly after 2-3 tanks, it went onto Aspen without missing a beat. I've also run it dry a number of times and after refuelling, it just starts up without fuss and carries on cutting. Despite how I view Stihl's 'M-tronic' as being easier to calibrate, I still like the Husky and am happy with it so far.

Really? You find the m-tronic easier? It's just the old husky AT stuff

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

As to gaining/losing 1,000ft - if you live in the fells or valleys, a 1,000ft isn't much. Years ago I had a bored morning and employed myself in the task of find out my actual altitude at birth. I got it wrong by 10ft, as I later found out the delivery-room was on the ground floor and not the first. So my actual birth altitude was 950ft. And before some bright spark says, "What about the bed..." I took the trouble to find out the internal dimensions of the hospital, the average height of NHS beds and thickness of mattresses at that time and also the average height of delivery equipment in general use at that time. And this was before the Internet age.

As I said... I was bored and needed something to occupy my mind.