Our Trip to The Gambia back in May

Jack Price

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this idea of travelling and climbing the worlds trees. Good on you. Did you ever worry the kids were going to run off with your kit. They look so happy and trusting but there must be a time when you're not so sure.

Not really. A kid took my cap at one point, he was soon mobbed by other kids until I had it back. The culture and respect system is completely different to Western culture, so at no point did I feel like anything I was carrying was under threat of theft. I believe the same goes for everyone else.

Hey island. By running the trip we raise a pot of money which is going to be used to do 2 things. The first is to run micro projects through schools and other local institutes to raise money for the makasutu wildlife trust. Projects like setting up begetable gardens in schools so the school can sell produce to local hotels to fund running of the schools. another project was printing wildlife guides to be sold in the nature reserves. The other thing we have just lined up is a link with a Gambian primary school to a uk school so kids can share experiences and learn about issues/ life for kids the same age in other cultures.

I really like this idea of travelling and climbing the worlds trees. Good on you. Did you ever worry the kids were going to run off with your kit. They look so happy and trusting but there must be a time when you're not so sure.

like Dan said, all the kids were really friendly and didnt show any signs that they would ever take anything meaningly, they just offered to carry our gear and loved playing on the swings and zip lines we set up for them :001_smile:

like Dan said, all the kids were really friendly and didnt show any signs that they would ever take anything meaningly, they just offered to carry our gear and loved playing on the swings and zip lines we set up for them :001_smile:

I agree, with jack, dan and mat. They were so excited to have a go on the swings etc. Not once did i feel any kit was at risk, in fact it was really cool to see so many people engaged in the community, something the uk has sadly lost from my experiences.