MEWP or Climb

Rod

mewp or climb  

53 members have voted

1. 1. mewp or climb

• MEWP
    • CLIMB

brogans have a monster mewp just for trees, it has a knuckle on it for getting over houses and the operator is caged in.

sounds like the one we had it was from them, but we all have mewp tickets so the guy satyed on the ground most of the time

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a lot of experience with using bucket trucks in the US, cherry pickers, spider lifts and 'Genie' booms in the UK for tree removals. They are all excellent tools in the right hands and can make the job a lot safer and easier provided you have a good understanding of work positioning. I would only let an experienced climber use a cherry picker for a large removal that involved rigging.

Most tree surgeons in the UK dont like hiring cherry pickers because they find the cost of renting them prohibitive, especially in the private/residential market where quotes have to kept realistic.

Edited by scotspine1

Most tree surgeons in the UK dont like hiring cherry pickers because they find the cost of renting them prohibitive, especially in the private/residential market where quotes have to kept realistic.

This makes no sense :confused1: if they saved the time many of you claim then then hiring or owning one would make you more competitive surely :confused1:

Do you ever hear any one say the cost of getting a chipper in is prohibitive??

No, because not having a chipper would make you less competitive, a chipper is a REAL time saving peace of kit.

This makes no sense :confused1: if they saved the time many of you claim then then hiring or owning one would make you more competitive surely :confused1:

No, because not having a chipper would make you less competitive, a chipper is a REAL time saving peace of kit.

most of my work is back garden stuff, so its the volume of brash rather than time to get the tree down, thats why i have a pretty big chipper, if most of my work was say council street trees, bucket truck all the way with toe-behind. if i had loads of money i would defo have a cherry picker, if i had your set up dave i would definately have a basket on the end of your hiab. i dont think they are legal here though, its very simple to make up, just slides in the end of the boom. if i could get one thats on a huddig and stick it on the mog, it would be awesome.:001_smile:

huddig_zwyzka_calosc.jpg.6cb53ebdc66312b33def25b0c9642e87.jpg

They cost about £300 a day so you need to be very quick and a lot more efficient to make it cost effective.

:confused1: so???????????:confused1:

it costs abit more to keep than a chipper and you use a chipper all the time

if you baught a small mewp you would need a big one if you baught a big one you would need a small one. short one large one etc etc hire is the way, then you can have the one for the job :001_tongue:

They cost about £300 a day so you need to be very quick and a lot more efficient to make it cost effective.

My crane cost £25K and makes me money (and is loler'd)

My Mog was £45K and costs £5K to £10K per year to maintain and makes me money.

My trailer was £20K and makes me money.

Why don't all my competitors get MEWPs and steal all my work??:confused1:

I've never been beaten on price by some one with a MEWP :001_tongue:

I really think the guys who think they are great should just buy one and clean up.

Edited by skyhuck

it costs abit more to keep than a chipper and you use a chipper all the time

if you baught a small mewp you would need a big one if you baught a big one you would need a small one. short one large one etc etc hire is the way, then you can have the one for the job :001_tongue:

A loler inspection costs what £200, every year?

I think most chipper cost more to maintain than that :001_tongue: