MEWP or Climb

Rod

mewp or climb  

53 members have voted

1. 1. mewp or climb

• MEWP
    • CLIMB

i know this may seem a tad odd, but i am a little bit scared of heights! so a mewp would definately be a no no, climbing is different tho, it feels alot safer and in most cases climbers are supported firmly within the tree, hovering in a big metal tin, seems a bit vulnerable to me ... as in a large bird of prey could mistake you for its dinner. point being you are fully/mostly in control whilst climbing.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer climbing to mewps, but as others have said it’s job specific a lot also depends on the type of mewp, I find strait access (with a knuckle in the end) a lot more useful and safer than the scissor ones...

we have just been issued with a scissor action landy, and I personally think it’s a waist of money and more dangerous than climbing (my colleague hurt him self with it today.)

the biggest problem is its like parking a greenhouse under your work site, thus encoring cut and holding, even the smallest target prune is enough to put a dent in the roof, but when have been told by the electricity board that climbing is now a last resort and “what the board wants the board gets”:thumbdown:

it is handy for thorn though , but then so is a flail!!!

I have always been under the impression that climbing a tree was supposed to be "last resort".

This was backed up the other day by a chat about AFAG regs changing and updating and now if I'm correct, your risk assessment has to justify climbing as being only possible solution.????

feel free to correct me and enlighten us all.

the Europeans thought that, well Germany anyway (it was illegal for a German citizen to work form rope & harness, that’s why the brits did it for them & I am led to believe that that decision has now been reversed

So what do we do, try & reinvent the wheel: Bloody typical

I would much rather trust the life line that I have inspected, the knots which I have tied, placed around a safe anchor point that I have chose, clipped to a harness that I know to be sound with attachments that I secure with equipment I have checked.

Over the capabilities of a machine I have little knowledge of (Load bearing Wind stability), which is inspected and maintained by A person I do not know & therefore cant trust my life on , Who may or may not have carried out a routine schedule maintenance program to a specification that I have no knowledge of ......... What man Can Make man will break & I for one dont want to be a statistic. SO use a Mewp Fine I have ,

However horse for courses & donkeys walk on beaches

So there

Edited by Yorkshireman

MEWP or Climb eh...?

Wish there was a 3rd box to tick - MEWP and Climb, as I would have ticked that one. :001_smile:

:dito:

I like to combine both on larger jobs. Quick crown access for the climber, let them do the inside, use the mewp for the outside awkward bits.

Climb, mewp, crane basket, fell it from the ground, whatever is the best way for the job in hand on the day.

The best way being the safest and most profitable.

However, I do agree that a good bit of challenging climbing keeps your skills sharp. :001_smile:

I’m a little concerned that MEWPS have only got 4 votes. MEWPS do have a place in our industry and I only hope this thread does not put people off trying or even buying one.

I wonder if the guy who sliced himself in the stomach while cutting the conifer hedge was using one??

I’m a little concerned that MEWPS have only got 4 votes. MEWPS do have a place in our industry and I only hope this thread does not put people off trying or even buying one.

I wonder if the guy who sliced himself in the stomach while cutting the conifer hedge was using one??

most people seem to be saying that they would use a mewp but they preffer to climb whenever possible

if he had been useing a mewp he probably would have cut his chest because mewp cages are always in the way so you are inclined to cut higher IMO

Edited by Rod
messed up the quote