Jensen 540DI

Essex arborist

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan, i worked for a firm who had four of them and my observations of Jensen chassis arious poor desigincident of the ures including the table is held up by two bolts and these are subject to wear and tear as is the naff toggle bolt affair that locks it in the close position.

The whole engine compartment cowlings become loose as the bolts that fix them to the chassis vibrate free.

An incident of chassis snapping in half with in a year blades aren't easy to change as it's awkward to lock fly wheel and turning over engine to change blades is torturous.

Spare wheel with no tools or jack to change it ??

Generally the steel used seems to be to thin and cracks appeared a round the welds.

Repeated failures of the in feed roller bearings which required extensive strip down to repair.

Ignition keys jams engaging starter which starts to act as an alternator and melts the wirring.

I should stop there sorry to rant

Pretty all of the above sounds like a lack of maintenance coupled with abuse,on top of inexperianced/incompetent people doing the repairs.

You can change the top and bottom feed roller bearing(s) in a couple of hours.

Ignition barrels jamb on pretty much all machines in dusty enviroments,you have to wash them out with WD40 periodically and pay attention that the key returns from the start position.

There is a bolt that winds into a dimple on the cutter wheel to hold it when you are changing blades,its under where the bolts are that hold the cover on the Cutter disc housing.Failing that,use a Axe across the fins on the back of the Cutter wheel.

The Steel on Jensens is excellent,even my spastic welding seems to stick.If you think its then and tinny,have a look at a Timberwolf.

All machines require maintenance,especially Wood Chippers,considering how much vibration they are subject to.

Pretty all of the above sounds like a lack of maintenance coupled with abuse,on top of inexperianced/incompetent people doing the repairs.

You can change the top and bottom feed roller bearing(s) in a couple of hours.

Ignition barrels jamb on pretty much all machines in dusty enviroments,you have to wash them out with WD40 periodically and pay attention that the key returns from the start position.

There is a bolt that winds into a dimple on the cutter wheel to hold it when you are changing blades,its under where the bolts are that hold the cover on the Cutter disc housing.Failing that,use a Axe across the fins on the back of the Cutter wheel.

The Steel on Jensens is excellent,even my spastic welding seems to stick.If you think its then and tinny,have a look at a Timberwolf.

All machines require maintenance,especially Wood Chippers,considering how much vibration they are subject to.

This man is correct. Maintenance is everything!

If you are looking at a new machine you want to get as many demos as possible and then decide which suits your needs best. I'm a big fan of the gm 1928 as I have used them extensively and know how good they are. Others still seem to turn their noses up at them (possibly as a result of poor experiences with earlier gm machines). I don't personally rate the tw190 - it isn't a bad machine, but it feeds like a smaller machine due to the square feed. I've used some terrible Jensens in the past, but maintenance (or lack of!) may have played a part to be fair. I know nothing about Bandits but they would be on my list to try if I was looking for a new machine of this size. The Forst looks very good, but is a smaller chipper (which apparently punches above its weight, but so does the quad chip) with a small hopper but no lightweight benefits (it is a lot more than 750 kg). I think their larger machine will be interesting when it is launched though. Phone your local dealers or the manufacturers, try all the machines out in this size category and then make sure you let us all know what you think!