Jensen 540DI

Essex arborist

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great chipper. Go easy with the bolts as I have had a few thread, although that is easy to fix. (Mine was an ex demo so might have been roughly treated in the bolt department! But by far the biggest bit of advise I can give you is get some grease nipples fitted to the BOTTOM feed roller bearings as these don't come as standard they don't need greasing often and care needs to be taken not to blow out the seals but they will last a whole lot longer. Other than that I think it is a stella bit of kit!

I'm not a fan, i worked for a firm who had four of them and my observations of Jensen chassis arious poor desigincident of the ures including the table is held up by two bolts and these are subject to wear and tear as is the naff toggle bolt affair that locks it in the close position.

The whole engine compartment cowlings become loose as the bolts that fix them to the chassis vibrate free.

An incident of chassis snapping in half with in a year blades aren't easy to change as it's awkward to lock fly wheel and turning over engine to change blades is torturous.

Spare wheel with no tools or jack to change it ??

Generally the steel used seems to be to thin and cracks appeared a round the welds.

Repeated failures of the in feed roller bearings which required extensive strip down to repair.

Ignition keys jams engaging starter which starts to act as an alternator and melts the wirring.

I should stop there sorry to rant

It's a 7.5" chipper but it will easily chip an 8" log as long as the log is smooth. The crushing power is good and despite feeding some very wet Conifer and Privet into it, the spout has never blocked.

It's easy to maintain once you realise that there is a flip down flap to access the dip-stick. The clamps for the spout are ok but not brilliant but I solved this by cutting two strips off the hopper curtain (that I haven't removed, honest) and glueing them under the little plates. Now it holds solid with minimal effort on the clamp handles.

All grease nipples are where you would expect to find them and having to open up the flywheel cover to grease up is a good thing because you get to inspect everything else at the same time.

The hopper is a really good size for this class of chipper.

Overall, even if the rollers are at half speed, two men won't standing waiting.

I tow mine behind a 90ps Transit and it's fine.

The only thing I have ever faulted is the black fuel tank but I'd rather have a black fuel tanked Jensen than a Timberwolf!

I'm not a fan, i worked for a firm who had four of them and my observations of Jensen chassis arious poor desigincident of the ures including the table is held up by two bolts and these are subject to wear and tear as is the naff toggle bolt affair that locks it in the close position.

The whole engine compartment cowlings become loose as the bolts that fix them to the chassis vibrate free.

An incident of chassis snapping in half with in a year blades aren't easy to change as it's awkward to lock fly wheel and turning over engine to change blades is torturous.

Spare wheel with no tools or jack to change it ??

Generally the steel used seems to be to thin and cracks appeared a round the welds.

Repeated failures of the in feed roller bearings which required extensive strip down to repair.

Ignition keys jams engaging starter which starts to act as an alternator and melts the wirring.

I should stop there sorry to rant

None of these things would happen if the operators had to pay the repair bill!