Shooting season 2013-2014

Matthew Arnold

Syndicate day to day 250 - 300 ./ All shot well . Mixture of partridge and pheasant . 270 something was he bag . Interesting thing was I saw what I am sure was a wimbrall ( spelling ) . Like a curlew but with a strait beak . Normally a fore shore wader but seen on the wet lands and marsh . No one shot it as it was not in the bag . Not sure if its on the legitimate quarry species or not . Bigger than a wood cock before any one says !

Could it have been a sandpiper or golden plover?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out at Bryanston tomorrow. Weather looks ideal (for picture taking) and will be bringing Floyd with me as he has healed very quickly and is more controllable than Deisel on his own. Only thing i will be hampered by is i will have my right knee strapped up as managed to make it buckle strimming on a flood plain.

Edited by Matthew Arnold

Sold day today with a difference . A family dads sons uncles sisters etc etc . Three of the lads had no s/g cert so had to have a minder ( stuffing ! ) . I was assigned to William . Safe as houses but a little nervous . His shooting improved through out the day save for the last drive before lunch . Very hi and fast birds above very tall trees . Emptied to boxes of shells for no birds ! The average over the day was about 7:1 were the syndicate is around 3:1 but a good day was had by all and I got a tip for stuffing !

Had a cracking day at Bryanston. The plan was i was gonna be in the beating line today (or so i thought). One of the guns picked me up this morning and as i came out with my flag he asked how i was gonna shoot birds with that lol. So had to change quickly into my shooting attire, grab a gun and a bag of cartridges (and a couple of extra boxes to load the pockets ready). I was gonna pick Floyd for today but as i was shooting i brought the black and white pocket rocket. Needless to say at elevenses my fellow guns kept calling me a smug git for having 6 left and rights. Two of which i had to "stretch" for. Been invited to shoot again there next week. Just need to get some more cartridges lol

Had a day to forget today. I got shot on the shoot i was beating at. The gun was about 50 yards away and could clearly see me and the next gun above. He was asked to unload his gun and put it in the slip for the rest of the afternoon. Its shaken me up a fair bit as its the first time i've been hit from "lethal" range from a shotgun. I am just glad it was a duff cartridge which didnt have much ooomph in it. Otherwise i would be in the local A n E with a severe case of lead based acne. My face is still stinging now from it.:thumbdown:

001.jpg.4c169f0a0ae2849b8c986b7582566235.jpg