what would you recommend

L200

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not insulting you I am just concerned that your gonna have an accident wielding an 18" chainsaw around. If your gonna use a chainsaw up in a hedge you would use a climbing saw and chainsaw trousers and be trained to use one, if you are wanting to be safe.

why a climbing saw for hedge reduction ?

sorry but dont understand why

top handle's good for one hand operation but you have to cut horizontally and that would be difficult with one hand ? no?

Top handles are not technically to be used one handed, everyone does though when needed but on the training course they tell you they should be used 2 handed. They are light and small so ideal for hedge reductions.

Top handles are dangerous enough for pruning, let alone hedges. Let's face it, it's safer and easier to use a small standard saw. I've used a 50cc saw with an 18" 325 bar on hedges with ease. He is going to go about it more safely than a simple ladder, so I see no reason to limit himself with a top handle if he is also going to use it for other work. Most decent 50cc saws can pull 18" of RSC bar thru conifers if you aren't ham-fisted. In any case, it sounds like he can do a 16" for most of his work, so he shouldn't have any issues finding a 50cc STIHL saw to suit his needs. The new 261 CM-Tronic is trickling out, and should be less than 6 bills.

I prefer using a rear handled saw for hedge reductions, I generally put a 13" bar on the 346. I've gone over to the rear handle for a couple of reasons. I feel it is safer than using a top handle. I'm also sick of breaking out the breather on the Stihl, and the flimsy little chain catchers snap off too often. I wouldn't use a larger bar in the narrow confines of a hedge, it just gets in the way. There is no substitute for training, even if you do the absolute minimum of maintenance and cross-cutting it will give you some idea of saw handling and the risks, and of course wear full ppe when operating a saw. Is the good £££ on the job looking so good now? ;)

I don't know why people are on the OPs case for wanting a chainsaw. Just about every gardener has a mid range saw rattling round in his van. My advice to him is get an Echo and spent the rest on something else. (Blower?)

all my gear is stihl but I recently got a echo top handle as part of a job lot been using it quite a lot and I love the thing! looking at getting a new pole pruner in the next couple of months and the echo version is in the running for that now. very underrated saws IMO