Three Do,s

telhol

AN arborist motto should be

Saftey first quality second speed third

Who would agree disagree this is my way of working any hoot.

When I first started working for a tree company, I wanted to be fast, I wanted to show my peers I was as good as them. This continued for at least 5 years until I had three bad accidents in the space of 2 months.

1 - stuck a 2 inch climbing spike into my calf muscle while distmantling a street tree. Reason it happened - working too fast.

2 - Took a bad swing - 35ft from a tight angled branch walk into the main stem, the impact was across my spine 60 ft up an oak - I couldn't breath for 1 minute thought I was going to die of a broken back in the tree. Reason it happened - working carelessly

3 - Tied my climbing saw over a stub while I decended for lunch, I was acting like a fool swinging out from the stem abseiling, then I suddenly realised my rope might be hitting the saw, just before i could look up to see, my 020 hit me square on top of my helmet from 20 ft above me, badly jarring my neck. If I had looked up half a second earlier I might not be here today as the saw bar would have embedded in my face. Reason it happened - behaving like an idiot.

I go slow these days, although sometimes i find myself in fast mode without realising I'm doing it. A throwback to my days of speed. I have to watch myself for the signs.

speed is just a by product of efficiency and shouldn't be strived for...

thats good! Ive never heard it put so well before and it is so true, you don't set out to be fast you try to do the job as methodically and logical as you can often you surprise your self that you got done in the time you did.

speed is just a by product of efficiency .

Sorry Steve, I disagree.....speed is a by product of a culture of having to do the job on time because you quoted too low.

In other words, if you are working too fast, your boss did not quote high enough or he is greedy.

It's mainly down to good pricing.

Sorry Steve, I disagree.....speed is a by product of a culture of having to do the job on time because you quoted too low.

In other words, if you are working too fast, your boss did not quote high enough or he is greedy.

It's mainly down to good pricing.

I don't think you can generalize like that,i am my own boss, i price my work and i do all the climbing in my firm,had a fall 12 years ago which was caused by inexperience, i know i a able to get jobs done faster than many of my competitors and as a result i make a good living but i do not think i am greedy,and have not had an accident in 12 years.

I don't think you can generalize like that,i am my own boss, i price my work and i do all the climbing in my firm,had a fall 12 years ago which was caused by inexperience, i know i a able to get jobs done faster than many of my competitors and as a result i make a good living but i do not think i am greedy,and have not had an accident in 12 years.

Dave u trying to tempt fate.