Internet Security

rovers90

Same deal available on Amazon for Kaspersky, have you noticed your computer running slower Rob?

I know there are free ones out there but they don't seem to do everything, by the sound of it most of you run two systems together.

Runs fine. I have a decent pc spec so a small antivirus wont slow much. Compared to the rubbish of Symantec and Mcafee its a dream.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avast will cover anti virus, scanning and internet security for free!

AVAST 2013 | Download Free Antivirus Software for Virus Protection

Plus you can put it on you phones and tablets for anti virus and you can install anti theft which allows you to:

- Track

- Lock

- Play annoying alarm (which you cant turn off without pin!)

All from the internet in case you loose it or it is stolen, it also plays the alarm if the sim is changed!

+1

Can't see why you'd pay for virus protection (psychologically it must be better if it costs lol) when there are a plethora of good free ones; there are so many it's very hard to choose I know.

Hi all,

For many years I evaluated & deployed a variety of Internet security products, out of the ones mentioned here:

1. I would avoid Norton or McAfee, neither are up to the job, Norton is problematic and has issues with non detection, I found McAfee slow with poor detection.

2. The best I have used & deployed for clients is probably ESET Security suite with NOD32 Antivirus - NOD32AV can be purchased alone if you just need AV.

3. Avira & Kaspersky have a good reputation but I have not used them

4. Avast is probably the best free AV better detection than AVG, I found ClamWin to be a very good open source free AV.

5. Take care with MS Security essentials, its not highly regarded in the IT world, it is easy to use & does have a small memory footprint.

6. If you bank on-line use QFX Software - Anti-Keylogging Software and More to defeat keyloggers there is a free version, this will not interfere with your AV.

7. No browser is completely secure & no AV will detect everything but security demands a layered approach, I use FireFox for which there are numerous add-ins such as NoScript & https everywhere to make browsing much more secure.

Take care & flush your caches on browser close

N

Edited by NFG

Hi all,

For many years I evaluated & deployed a variety of Internet security products, out of the ones mentioned here:

1. I would avoid Norton or McAfee, neither are up to the job, Norton is problematic and has issues with non detection, I found McAfee slow with poor detection.

2. The best I have used & deployed for clients is probably ESET Security suite with NOD32 Antivirus - NOD32AV can be purchased alone if you just need AV.

3. Avira & Kaspersky have a good reputation but I have not used them

4. Avast is probably the best free AV better detection than AVG, I found ClamWin to be a very good open source free AV.

5. Take care with MS Security essentials, its not highly regarded in the IT world, it is easy to use & does have a small memory footprint.

6. If you bank on-line use QFX Software - Anti-Keylogging Software and More to defeat keyloggers there is a free version, this will not interfere with your AV.

7. No browser is completely secure & no AV will detect everything but security demands a layered approach, I use FireFox for which there are numerous add-ins such as NoScript & https everywhere to make browsing much more secure.

Take care & flush your caches on browser close

N

Nothing on Comodo or Sophos?

Edited by High Scale

Nothing on Comodo or Sophos?

Hi,

Sophos is an excellent product, Ive used extensively but pitched at enterprises for managing hundreds of users, once policies & groups configured it's a breeze & I could remote everything. Sophos support is probably the best. I dont think its aimed at the individual or where there isnt a file server its a bit expensive unless bought in volume, so ESET a better solution here, IMO.

Id considered Id droned enough in my post anyway!

However, Sophos is free to Mac users & Ive deployed it on dozens of Macs, its very quick at detecting viruses - 100% being from infected USB sticks inserted into PCs whose AV has failed to detect :blushing:

Mac Antivirus | Free Antivirus for Mac Tool Download | Sophos

Comodo not used, sorry.

N

Just to update this thread - Kaspersky is still available free from Barclays. I had been using my laptop and following the links from the Barclays home page once logged in to online banking. I have just come off the phone to the online help desk and there is a problem if the browser you use is Internet Explorer so I logged on to the desk top and using Google Chrome followed the ladys instructions and got the new activation code via email. Input it and I am now protected until September next year free of charge. Result!!!

Just to update this thread - Kaspersky is still available free from Barclays. I had been using my laptop and following the links from the Barclays home page once logged in to online banking. I have just come off the phone to the online help desk and there is a problem if the browser you use is Internet Explorer so I logged on to the desk top and using Google Chrome followed the ladys instructions and got the new activation code via email. Input it and I am now protected until September next year free of charge. Result!!!

Made me smile, but when will they stop writing ambiguous code & mucking around with standards they dont adhere to?

I think IE still permits active X extensions to run - yuk

One nice utility I forgot was Sandbox IE, it works with IE (obviously!), FF & a few other browsers. It sandboxes (isolates) the browsing process, this may be part of IE9 but theres a lot of IE 7 & 8 still around. Anything malicious is prevented from running, the link below explains it well

Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing

N