new to it all a cutting question ?

Littletree

Hi all its been some days on since cutting my first lump of wood

and I am slowing getting a little more condifent with it .

I a question re cutting this may sound really silly but still only a few days old into using a chainsaw .

At the moment I am cutting up loads of flat MDF board from work tops to cuboards old draws ect . I want to cut small squars out of it for a small wood burner I am finding it diffiuclt to stablise the smaller flat bits of wood . One bit of flat board under the bit I am trying to slice seems to work ok but the saw has a tendancy to draw the wood back too far into the saw making it quite difficult . any tips would be helpfull ?.

Many thanks Eastwater:001_smile:

If you're here looking for advice, the first bit I'd give would be "Stop it!"

MDF dust ain't good for you at all - it contains formaldehyde amongst other things and you don't want to be breathing dust containing that!. Burning it in a domestic stove or fireplace will basically send all those nasties up the chimney for your neighbours and the rest of the planet to breathe in. Industrially, waste mdf has to be incinerated at much higher temperatures than you'll get in your stove to break down all the nasty compounds it releases.

There is enough "decent" timber around - often for free if you scout around a bit - to keep the home fires burning without poisoning the planet for everyone else into the bargain.

Hope I don't come across as preachy - it's just that this is one of those things I'm actually bothered about - in much the same way as it hacks me off that big local salad growers who hype their produce as fresh and healthy and good for you etc, are quite happy to burn trailer loads of shrink wrap and waste plastic out on the marshes where they think no-one will notice - you can see the black smoke trails for miles........:thumbdown:

Cheers,

Andy