Problem customer

tarzan

Hi,

I used to get this similar nonsense all the time, a client would ask me to produce a web site looking like xyz & refuse to spec, Id do a mock up, they'd OK it then change their minds on something usually awkward.

Therefore what Id try & do is get some extra work out of it, perhaps suggest 'If I were you Id leave it until next year, see how they grow & I will do it for £xyz' or similar

If you try and make the customer hire you for next year then they wont, it has to be their idea/plan, you just need to put words in their head.

If you charge now, what you have to evaluate is will I get future work for generosity against peeving them for their own error.

You may also like to explain that the additional time means another job gets delayed or re-scheduled to make them realise your time is not an infinite resource for them to waste.

Just my thoughts

N

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time=Money. And this is going to cost you time. You could be on a fresh job earning rather than satisfying the whim of someone who changed their mind halfway through a job.

No builder, Plumber, Electrician, Block paver, Particle physicist I know would do extra work for free due to a customer behaving in this way. I have had to walk away from arrogant people just expecting you to do extra upon extra for free just because "You are there with your equipment so you may as well just.....".

Work for free and earn nothing, Then ask Tesco for some free shopping and the utilities for free gas electric and water. You see my point :thumbup1:

Just politely say yes I can but that will be extra, either say they say ok no problem or ok leave it as is, either way your not out of pocket, alternatively do it without quibbling and put extra on to cover it next time you price something :thumbup1:

Problem is, if you do it that way they will think you have suddenly become very expensive. Better just to be upfront about it in the first place. After all, the change of spec is their's so they would have to be extremely naive to think you would do extra work for free. :001_smile:

I was doing a garden about 2 weeks ago. No arb work, just relaying slabs. I quoted for two men for 3 days, but I wanted the job done in 2days so I could pocket the extra. The guy then asked for an additional piece to be slabbed out, so I worked it out and yes I could, for the same price, but it was going to take me the 3days after all. I started the work and he comes back and asks if I could extend the first piece of slabbing by 18 inches to take it to the fence, oh, and the retaining wall needs rebuilt - can u do it? And if u can, could u put a set of steps in place. I said yes to all 3, turned up the next day with a new work order and an invoice for the work done... Did he think that the extra was all in? He sure did! But the extra all got done, in another 3days, and he was charged another £600 quid. His argument was "aye, but the job is the job, u can't bill me extra for the same job" my reply "The job was agreed upon and signed on the work order, which u were invoiced for. U can't expect extra work for free, so here is the new work order for the extra work u want done" He did pay, but paid me in cash. Had to write out reciepts!!! I hate invoicing then getting paid in cash. Work orders are essential to anyone. It's a contract between you and your' customer.

If i assume you priced the job as x men for x days and priced accordingly?

If your ahead of time and can finish within time doing the extra work, then do it but make sure your clear with the client about what's happening and that you are effectively doing more work for the same money.

If your behind time or on time, then I think it's reasonable to charge extra, ie your normal dayrate for however much extra it takes but again explain this to the client.

May feel like an uncomfortable conversation to have but it's situation your likely to be in many times is years to come. Best get it over with ASAP and move on.

Good Luck

Hi folks i spoke to the client about the extra work on removing more off the tops of the conifers and he was happy to pay the extra on days rate so thanks for your help folks. That makes it 10 and a Half days on this job I normally charge £450 a day so ill do the extra day for £380 and he's happy with that... Cheers for the support bros

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I had a very similar scenario where a customer wanted the conifer topped "at the same height as the lamp post" so we did! Then to be greeted with "you haven't touched it! look the lamp post is way lower!" so i reply " yes madam thats cos its the other side of the road and will clearly look lower when viewed from your driveway"

So she refused to pay unless we took more off. So the way I saw it I was left with 3 options.

1: Bite my tounge, walk away and get no money

2: Burn the cows house down.

3: Bite my tounge, smile and go back and do it all again and get paid.

Tough one!