bats in trees

Rod

so far we have found 3 deffinate roosts one of which i found only one of the three was found with the ecologist but if i hadnt done the training i might not have known

the course i did was with a company called echoes ecology and i cant think of the exact title but it was bats in trees surveying techniques and it was a three day course and two evenings trapping and echoe locating

obviously we didnt work on the trees with roosts in.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the course i did was with a company called echoes ecology and i cant think of the exact title but it was bats in trees surveying techniques and it was a three day course and two evenings trapping and echoe locating

Sounds like a good course :001_cool:

im interested in how other people have found ways to make the whole thing work hence the example of what we have been doing working with ecologists

I've got access to a licenced holder (last shot), and have all the team trained on the AA Awareness course, but I understand this can be very hit and miss, depends entirely on who you have facilitating the day.

I was fortunate to have Andrew Cowan (BatiArb)

Keep photo and paper evidence of regular inspections of your work around potential habitation.

Then act sensibly and reasonably whilst carrying out reduction/felling works and have a working ethic as Peter describes. :thumbup1:

That way, Imo, you would be seen to be working within the spirit of the legislation and would not get a tug from the BCT.

Appologies if you deemed my first post as accusational, it was intended to enhance the debate.

Good thread Rod.

Seeing this come up time and again, makes me feel that the appropriate level of awareness is finally getting through to the lads and lasses at the cutting edge.

P7060012.jpg.a1d3ef9bff1f2d73ead8672cb1f32c40.jpg

P3030013.JPG.30e807607b16f341a1741e1da6ca146b.JPG

P3030012.JPG.a6c5273f27ebd5021b8262a1b011625d.JPG

thats more like the kind of debate i was after

i agree that in our profession the bats message is getting through but its when we have to put the message forward to the client that worries me

do you still expect to be paid if you cant compleet the work

do you expect the client to pay extra for ecologists, disturbance licences. etc.

its all well and good knowing what you cant do but it dosent stop someone else doing it (cowboys are everywhere)

then me and the bats lose out

I've done a few jobs were a bat inspection was required, although it was me that ended up doing the inspecting while taking instructions from the bat man.

Never found any bats though, but from what I was told they can be small enough to hide underneath a piece of flaky bark! So on a decent sized tree I doubt you can say 100% that it is bat free.

All interesting stuff as long as the customer is aware of the potential increase in costs and will sign something so you do get paid no matter what happens.

Tbh I dont go round asking clients about potential bat roosts etc and only get an inspector involved if they mention it(possible bat site etc)

I've done a few jobs were a bat inspection was required, although it was me that ended up doing the inspecting while taking instructions from the bat man.

QUOTE]

same here. and thats ok until you find something, try getting an ecologist with no climbing exp. up a tree:001_smile:

I do work for a 'bat-man' occasionally. He does his survey and I climb and inspect cavities with an endoscope. I've never seen a bat in a tree in 15 years (I'm glad to say!) and I've only known 2 other climbers who have. I did a bat-awareness course with the local wildlife trust, it was very interesting and made me think a bit more and have a good look around a tree before felling/pruning etc.

on the course we did in the evening we went out with bat detectors and they took us to a tree roost they knew of with noctule bats in.

i was amazed at how far up the crown the holes were. it was a small stunted looking ash in a hedge row and i guess the branch in question would be 6-8 in

wide. and they had seen over 20 bats come out on another occasion.

Keep photo and paper evidence of regular inspections of your work around potential habitation.

Then act sensibly and reasonably whilst carrying out reduction/felling works and have a working ethic as Peter describes. :thumbup1:

That way, Imo, you would be seen to be working within the spirit of the legislation and would not get a tug from the BCT

did you know that certain species of bat carry higher protection and their habitat is protected (not just the roost) so working on a tree with no bat potential in their vecinity could still be breaking the law because the bats could use it for forageing or as a flight line(linear feature) and you would be altering it.