33 members have voted

1. 1. To reduce or not?

• Yes - reduce
    • No - leave well alone

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame. It just shows that with all the best intentions and considered work nature still can spoil it's own in an instant

But HAS nature spoiled it, its done exactly what nature needs, created a new habitat for something as the tree naturally declines in old age. The circle of life continues......

After all the considered advice, I did not recommend the reduce,

and...

the top blew out of it last week! It's a great crack much better than any coronet cut I could have done.. Looks like there might be a cavity with bats still up there so I don't think the reduce would work. I might be able to bring down one remaining and now rather exposed limb..

Trees like that really need a climbed inspection, by a competant arborist, especially if its in a public area..

All good in hindsite but I looked at that tree again and thought humm maybe a reduction wouldn't be a bad thing , then a few pages along I read the top blew out..

I hope the top blowing out didn't cause you any embarassment..

im still shocked out of the whole poll i was the only person who voted to reduce......yep nature took its course ...theres a nice habitat be it may but would rather do a subtle reduction that would of been hard to the un trained eye to tell to decrease wind sail than have the whole top blow out.......

when your times up. your times up. some times it best to let things be (if health and safety alows)

as for the top blowing out, perfectly healthy trees occasinally loose there lids and knackered old trees stand up to the same punishment, thats life nothing to feel embarrssed about

My decision not to reduce was based on the fact that if the worse happeded (which it did) there would be little danger. It's in a conservation area so if I had got permision I still wouldn't have done the work yet anyway. It's more likely to get permision now.. Except there is a dark stained cavity which I reckon could be a bat roost so that limits the works...

I don't think a climbing inspection would have helped.. No harm done, I explained to the client that it would fail some time in the future, but was probably best not to stress the tree. They are keen on keeping it in whatever condition.

• 2 months later...