Roadside work

GregM

Evening all,

Was wondering when does it go from just needing cones and signs to work in the road, to needing temporary traffic lights? I'm pricing a job on the inside of a bend in a village, where i need to set up a cherry picker in the road. The operator has chapter 8 + the signs/cones but not sure if the traffic would be able to get round by themselves.

Greg

if on a bend maybe not lights but stop go boards at least you can control traffic. do not take notice of cones or signs.there all on auto pilot and do not see signs so if come round bend and something coming other way if they can not stop and hit the cherry picker whos going to be at fault. tick all the box,s for the cost of a couple of blokes in hi viz gear its cheaper than a insurance bill

As you've already stated that its on a bend then defiantly have 'Stop/Go' boards... Although I would rather have traffic lights - Looks more professional and are a little more affective. You also don't need to hire people in to control them. I assume it's not cheap to hire temporary traffic lights though?

The thing to think about is that safety for you, the operator of the MEWP and your team as well as the general public. You can always discuss the traffic light option with your customers and then include it in the price.

Chapter 8 part 1 is very good when trying to work out what system you want to use. There are strict rules though as to when some form of traffic control system is needed, which is down to visibility, width of remaining road, etc. Irrespective of type of traffic management used, it is my understanding that you do need to have a trained operative on site who is carrying their certification with them.

Thanks, I think i'll price in for the traffic lights unless I can find a couple of groundies with chapter 8. Unfortunately they only do them on a day rate which makes It slightly expensive when I only need it for a few hours (£420 +vat) but best to play safe I suppose. Will already have £750 worth of costs before I even put any money on it, but it's not me paying for it so i'll stick it in and see what happens.:001_rolleyes:

Thanks, I think i'll price in for the traffic lights unless I can find a couple of groundies with chapter 8. Unfortunately they only do them on a day rate which makes It slightly expensive when I only need it for a few hours (£420 +vat) but best to play safe I suppose. Will already have £750 worth of costs before I even put any money on it, but it's not me paying for it so i'll stick it in and see what happens.:001_rolleyes:

You only need one groundie with chapter 8

Traffic lights should only cost about £150 +vat a day. If you're concerned about how to go about your TM then contact your local NRSWA dept and ask. Of course you may then get charged for a licence to work on the road and you may have to book a time to do it, so it doesn't conflict with other works and the emergency services know. Traffic lights are much safer and better for static works and generally work out cheaper than having a guy or guys stood around for more than half a day.