Towing restrictions.

John Hancock

A lad i know got pulled by the police as he was towing a twinaxled trailer behind a navara and it was full of hay bales, he was told he had to leave it there and go and get his dad to tow it to wherever it was going and back to the farm yet he can drive a tractor with a big grain trailer or a combine without any hassle:confused1::thumbdown:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, farmers get away with every f***ing thing! My boss is a farmer and he seems to be certain there is some loophole as he has the MEWP reistered as Agricultural plant. But then someone else told me this only entitles me to drive it 50 miles maximum from the base. Either way it is all a money making load of crap, gives more jobs to C1 and C1+e teachers! A big con IMO, when u get farmers towing around HUGE trailors the size of HGV

And it gets worse! They are going to make it so you have to do 5 days training over 5 years to keep your license so they can do away with so called granddad rights. So if you drive a lorry once in 5 years that’s 5 days training you need to do.

do not like what i am hearing! Total idiots these people! Just making it more and more difficult for the hard grafter to get on and earn a crust. They want a kick up their arse!

HOWEVER, if that keeps people like my mother off the road then it can only be a good thing and make the roads a safer place for everyone! :-)

At the end of the day, i am just gonna have to do the C and then the C+E and it can only make me more valuable to potential employers! Finding c1+e drivers is not an easy task these days! and it is only gonna get tougher as the older lads dissapear and the new boys come along with nothing more than a car driving licence! DVLA know this, as i said, money making scam!

Total bollocks isn't it! I cannot drive a car with a trailor over 750kg, :-(

Not strictly true you can pull a trailer of more than 750kg so long as the combined weight of the vehicle & the trailer doesnt exceed to gvw of the drawing vehicle

So A transit 3500 kg gvw

kerb weight approx 2000kg Add a trailer of 1250 kg = 3250kg you cant put anything on it that will exceed the gvw but it may help

Not strictly true you can pull a trailer of more than 750kg so long as the combined weight of the vehicle & the trailer doesnt exceed to gvw of the drawing vehicle

So A transit 3500 kg gvw

kerb weight approx 2000kg Add a trailer of 1250 kg = 3250kg you cant put anything on it that will exceed the gvw but it may help

Are you certain? I thought a B+E was required for towing anything over 750kg, thats what DVLA told me anyway! So what does B+E entitle you to do then?

Lad who lives across the road form me had this out with the DVLA and it is the case that you can tow more than 750kg provided the maximum gross weight of car + MGW of the trailer is less than 3500kg. You cannot therefore tow a 751kg chipper with a 3500kg MGW transit even if it is empty as you have the potential to break the law, nor can you tow an empty trailer of 1000kg with a 2000kg MGW truck if the trailer is built to carry more than 500kg.

The DVLA wrote to my mate so he had something to show the police, he was towing a caravan with MGW of 1200kg with a shogun Pinin MGW 2200kg, therefore uless he overloaded either the car or trailer (which is another offence) he could not weigh in at more than the 3500kg limit.

The law around this is utter bollox really and based on the amount of hassle my mate got from the DVLA and police who did not understand the law something needs to rectified.

Kev

So A transit 3500 kg gvw

Soory Iain, not true. The law is written based on maximum gross weights, not kerb weights. See my post above. You can be done for capability to break weight restrictions!!

Are you certain? I thought a B+E was required for towing anything over 750kg, thats what DVLA told me anyway! So what does B+E entitle you to do then?

There is so much confusion over all this, even from those in authority, dvla, police, vosa ect.

B+E entitles you to tow a trailer of up to 3500kg, with a towing vehicle of up to 3500kg (all MAM weights obviously), provided the vehicle and trailer plated weights are adhered to etc.