Newbie's Kitbag?

Dan White

Hello again all,

So as not to write an essay, I thought I'd split this topic into a second post. I'm looking at starting out in Arb this winter, and I'm currently in a relatively comfortable position wages wise, therefore I'm looking at what kit I'm going to need, initially for use on the ground and eventually up a tree. I don't want to be the guy with all the gear and no idea, but I do want to make some sound investments whilst I've still got the disposable income.

What would you all recommend as a good start? Spread carefully over the next few months my budget is approximately £800-1000.

My thoughts...

Starting of course with the PPE. Boots, trousers, helmet, gloves.

I'm a keen rock climber already so I'm sorted for karabiners and the misc climbing stuff, but should I put money aside for a harness yet?

And is it worth investing in the main tool of the trade, a saw?!

Cheers,

Dan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you planning on running? Self employed or on the books for someone?

That's the first thing you need to figure out before buying anything, as most PAYE positions will provide everything you will need.

The krabs, if rock climbing, I assume are screw gates? Not really used in arb, be better off with some 3 way lockers

Hello again all,

So as not to write an essay, I thought I'd split this topic into a second post. I'm looking at starting out in Arb this winter, and I'm currently in a relatively comfortable position wages wise, therefore I'm looking at what kit I'm going to need, initially for use on the ground and eventually up a tree. I don't want to be the guy with all the gear and no idea, but I do want to make some sound investments whilst I've still got the disposable income.

What would you all recommend as a good start? Spread carefully over the next few months my budget is approximately £800-1000.

My thoughts...

Starting of course with the PPE. Boots, trousers, helmet, gloves.

I'm a keen rock climber already so I'm sorted for karabiners and the misc climbing stuff, but should I put money aside for a harness yet?

And is it worth investing in the main tool of the trade, a saw?!

Cheers,

Dan

Or not, the biners used in commercial arb need to be 3 way locking.

Cheers Dan, Ideally I'd like to start off for a bigger firm for the security but be able to freelance too, unless that's frowned upon?

That budget is just for my initial startup as a groundie with a view to the future based on:

Boots £150

Trousers £150

Helmet & Gloves £70

plus maybe

Harness £250

Rope/Flipline/Climbing gear £250

Cheers guys. Didn't realise that about the biners Treequip, thankyou.

Please don't think I'm being cocky here either. I appreciate there's a huge difference between recreational rock climbing and professional arb. Just trying to save where I can.

The saw choice is an entirely new thread, and hopefully budget that I'll be looking at next spring.

Have a search as theres loads of debated on which one to get also if ur thinking of going up in the trees then you would need one with a chin strap which would be £70 or more as standard then at least another £30 for gloves. But to be honest u wont use ur gloves after the assessments bud.

£250 is about right for a harness then at least another £120 for a rope.

And a basic ground saw you would be looking around £700

Then if you want to free lance uve got slings lowering gear etcetc.

Also dont forget all ur climbing like harness ropes etc will need to be loller inspected every 6months plus insurance

Edited by Dan Earp

Cheers guys. Didn't realise that about the biners Treequip, thankyou.

Please don't think I'm being cocky here either. I appreciate there's a huge difference between recreational rock climbing and professional arb. Just trying to save where I can.

The saw choice is an entirely new thread, and hopefully budget that I'll be looking at next spring.

Appreciate that, just trying to keep it on an even keel for you. Nothing worse than an unexpected expense.

You will need to get a LOLER inspection, that is to say you ought to have one for anything you use commercially.