mud terrains

John Shutler

I run anacondas on the defender and pedestrians 1/4 of a mile infront of me turn round to see what the noise is that's approaching.

Mud terrains will make it feel like all your wheel bearings have gone and will need to wear ear defenders in the cab, they're horrendous.

I'm down scaling to something a little less aggressive like BFG A/T's

BFGs arent THAT bad on road- pretty 'polite' i reckon, and they last for ever! I have 285.75.16s on the defender, and they are loads better than the broncos i had before. Most noise on the road seems to come from really aggressive shoulders on the tyre, not so much the centre tread pattern. They do affect the power noticeably when towing and the top speed is slightly down, but thats not an issue for me, and tbh i try not to worry about mpg- i stopped when i got a defender! I have just ordered a couple more. Shop around for a price though, as they vary loads.

i have the wider bfg a/t's on my defender 130, i would say stick with thinner tyres for two reasons, one being wider will flick mud and muck everywhere over your truck, and also the MTs work on the principle of cutting through the surface to get traction so increasing floatation with wider tires is likely to counteract the benefit, when mine get worn it will go down onto the skinniest MTs i can fit

I run 265/75 x 16 BFG Mud T/As on my Discovery 2 and love 'em. Fuel consumption hasn't changed significantly (how you drive makes much more of a difference than the tyres) and still get around 500 to a tank. They are a bit noisier and do hum on the road, but not enough to be a problem.

Roadholding is very good for a mud tyre and I have never had any dramas, and in snow or standing water (heavy rain) better that the Michelin baby's bum things that were on from new.

Best of all the last set did over 100,000 miles before they needed renewing, and two of them still had enough tread left then to be put onto a trailer.

I know it's not relevent to the OP, but if you fit 265s on a Disco2 you will have to do some surgery on the front bumper unless you only drive on roman roads (dead straight), and for road use you will probably want to go about 10psi higher than the normal tyre pressures. If you run them under-inflated on tarmac you will eventually get an uneven wear pattern (alternate knobs round the rim wear in a pattern a bit like castle battlements) which can cause a vibration, but I found that upping the pressure stopped this completely.

I have now done over 150,000 miles on Muds in the Disco and wouldn't even think of running on anything else now.

Plus, they also look cool !

I run 265/75 x 16 BFG Mud T/As on my Discovery 2 and love 'em. Fuel consumption hasn't changed significantly (how you drive makes much more of a difference than the tyres) and still get around 500 to a tank. They are a bit noisier and do hum on the road, but not enough to be a problem.

Roadholding is very good for a mud tyre and I have never had any dramas, and in snow or standing water (heavy rain) better that the Michelin baby's bum things that were on from new.

Best of all the last set did over 100,000 miles before they needed renewing, and two of them still had enough tread left then to be put onto a trailer.

I know it's not relevent to the OP, but if you fit 265s on a Disco2 you will have to do some surgery on the front bumper unless you only drive on roman roads (dead straight), and for road use you will probably want to go about 10psi higher than the normal tyre pressures. If you run them under-inflated on tarmac you will eventually get an uneven wear pattern (alternate knobs round the rim wear in a pattern a bit like castle battlements) which can cause a vibration, but I found that upping the pressure stopped this completely.

I have now done over 150,000 miles on Muds in the Disco and wouldn't even think of running on anything else now.

Plus, they also look cool !

:dito:

BFG Muds are not noisy! well they arn't noisy if your normal and drive round listening to the stereo or chatting to the passenger! The BFG is terrific in lasting forever and its road holding is brilliant for a mud tyre.

I disagree with Charlie though I prefer a wider Mud tyre due to the fact I can still keep traction but I do tend to cut in less so sites tend to be less cut up. That said Charlie is right in that the vehicle gets covered in mud. at the end of the day pay ya money make ya choice!