New Member After Some Advice

RussellS

You could try taking it back to the delaer and getting them to explain how to start it but if you want to try......

Take the top cover off, pull the plug out, turn the saw up down with the ignition OFF, pull the saw over briskly a few times - you may get fuel running or vapour coming out of the cylinder.

Leave the plug out over night and then replace it tomorrow and go through the normal starting procedure - chances you missed the first fire of the engine on full choke first time and flooded it:blushing:

Good luck

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still not quite there yet. I can't get the bleeding thing started for love or money. The chap at the dealer started it up while I was there so I know it works ok. However, I cannot get it to produce the initial fire with the choke fully out. At the moment there is only the fuel in it that the shop put in to test which isn't a lot but the primer bulb fills up when I pump it so there should be enough to start. I've checked the spark plug but it wasn't sopping wet or anything but I've cleaned it anyway.

I've got the front handle pushed forward to engage the chain brake. I've pulled the blue choke lever fully out and the on/off switch is up but it doesn't seem to show any signs of firing.

Is there something I'm missing. If anyone has any advice I would be grateful.

Hi,

I have a 365 & a Husky hedge trimmer, if you tried a lot of pulls with the blue choke lever out, its most likely flooded :blushing: (as already suggested) mine seem to start best if I do 2 pulls choke out, then put choke in & 9/10 times will start on the third pull.

Hope this helps & hope you have room in your budget for some Chaps/gloves etc.

Bon chance

N

There IS a knack to starting this saw, choke out, prime 6-8 times, grip the rear handle with your knees, hold the front, and pull NO MORE than 4 times (anything more and it's flooded), push choke lever in, DO NOT TOUCH THE TRIGGER, pull about 4 more times and it should start

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi,

I have a 365 & a Husky hedge trimmer, if you tried a lot of pulls with the blue choke lever out, its most likely flooded :blushing: (as already suggested) mine seem to start best if I do 2 pulls choke out, then put choke in & 9/10 times will start on the third pull.

When you say put the choke in, do you mean all the way in or just to the half way point.

Hope this helps & hope you have room in your budget for some Chaps/gloves etc.

Yeah, don't worry. My day job is a service engineer in the printing industry so I'm used to constant risk assesment and making sure I wear the relevent PPE stuff.

I get loads of customers bringing their new saws back because they can't start them, even though I have gone to great lengths to explain the procedure. I guess its a lot to take in on top of having had to decide which saw to buy.

Firstly ensure that there is enough fuel in the tank, if the filter is exposed you will have trouble. I would also strongly suggest you use Aspen2 as you will be an occassional user.

Normal starting procedure.

Apply the chain brake, set the choke to full, and prime the bulb until its firm (about 6)

Ensure that the ignition is on.

Pull the cord sharply and quickly, but do not expect the saw to start. Instead, just expect an attempt to start which will just be the slightest cough. DO NOT pull again. (if you do it WILL flood)

Flick the choke off, but do not touch the throttle trigger. This will leave the fast idle set.

Pull sharply again and it will start.

It will be running fast and the clutch will be straining against the chain brake, so move your hands quickly to the operating positions, release the chain brake and rev the engine to 'clear' it (and cool the clutch), then release the trigger.

The engine will settle to tickover.

Yours sounds flooded. They can be a bitch to clear, as a 2t engine not only floods in the combustion chamber on top of the piston, but also in the crankcase. You can dry out the top, but when you try again you merely bring more excess fuel through from crankcase. This fuel is now oil rich as some of the petrol has evaporated. When it does start it will smoke well but soon clear.

If its very flooded, empty the tank before attempting to start, that way you are not pulling even more fuel through.

You have put mixed 2 stroke not straight fuel in ?

It is just the fuel already in the machine from the dealer so I would hope it was 2 stroke fuel. However, I have now mixed up some more just in case there wasn't enough fuel in it.

I still canot get any signs of life out of it though. As Spudulike suggested, I took the spark plug out and left it over night after draining out what was in the cylinder (nothing came out though).

This morning, I've put the plug back and followed your recommended starting procedures. Gave 3 pulls with choke out, pushed choke in and then pulled again. It did actually fire but didn't start. I got it to fire a couple of times but still it didn't burst into life. Now I'm back to nothing again presumably because it is now flooded again.

This is really starting to frustrate me. I've run enough 2 stroke engines over the years but I don't recall having this much problem starting them.

What is the best way to drain the fuel tank, just unscrew the filler cap and tip it out or disconnect one of the pipes to drain.

If u think its flooded, turn everything off and pull about 10 times and try starting it up as a HOT start bud👍

Thank you Dan, that did the trick.

Did exactly as you said and it did start but then stopped again quickly afterwards. This happened twice. I think this is because the starting idle speed was fast enough to engage the clutch but with the chain brake on it was stalling the engine. So on the third attempt as soon as it started I blipped the throttle to set the slow idle speed and it was fine after that.

So as long as I never turn it off again I'll be fine :001_smile:

I have to say though, my right arm doesn't half hurt and my right bycep it twice the size it was yesterday.:biggrin:

At least now I know it was me and not a problem with the machine itself. Once I've started it a few times I'll get the technique right.

Thanks for everyones help and advice. It is much appreciated.

No problem, if you find after use it doesn't do a hot start, id take it back to your dealer to go through everything again and have a look at the saw bud👍 but lets hope you don't have to do this. Have a good day cutting. And if u think u need to adjust the carb get the dealer to do that also if you not sure

Edited by Dan Earp