why does there seem to be so little jobs in scotland if there are so many trees

what a feller

If your fresh out of school, I would suggest working for another firm to start. Starting out Green in any industry and learning on the fly may not be your best course of action. If you have all of your qualifications under your belt, work for someone or another firm first.

Unless you have at least 18 months of savings to fall back on, if things don't work out on your own, don't do it. Nearly all start up businesses fail due to under capitalization among other reasons. Gain your experience with a firm that has been there and done that First.

Save your money and keep your living overhead as low as you can go. I believe in 5 years time you will have enough experience and funds saved to go out on your own.

BTW, I have been there and done that.

easy-lift guy

There is so little tree work up in Scotland in comparison to the amount of trees because Scotland is not highly populated in comparison to England. Obviously in the cities you will find just as many tree firms as England but when you get into the Highlands it is mainly small villages and towns. I looked in to opening up in Aviemore a few years ago as my parent live not too far from there but there tree firms that are operating are either closing down or struggling for work so it was a no brainer.

Where in Scotland are you?

Do you think i am better trying to find someone to employ me or just go self employed straight off the bat?

PM Me your details, I have a biggish contract on in Perthshire at the moment, I may need an extra climber for a wee while, there may be other opportunities too...

PM Me your details, I have a biggish contract on in Perthshire at the moment, I may need an extra climber for a wee while, there may be other opportunities too...

Sorry man, believe me when i say i would love too but i have to wait untill the start of november untill my climbing certs come through. I am working in a non arb related job at the moment and paying for courses/equiptment etc. If there is any chance of anything after that point then i will on it like white on rice. Also should say i am looking to relocate at the same time so wherever the work is that is stable...ish is where i will be. Thanks for the oppurtunity and also the advice.