Cheaper to buy in split wood

baz

I've been quoted anything from £1,500 to £1,800 for a trailer load of cord. This is substantially more expensive than any purchased in the past that has peaked at £1,350 for a load.

Taking £1,500 as the best offer we usually yield 45m3 per load.

Cost of wood per m3 = £35.56

Labour to handle, split, load & deliver = £20

Fuel to handle and process = £3

Fuel to deliver = £2

So here we are over £60 a cube before plant maintenance, oils, filters, chains and depreciation is taken into account.

Looking at imported wood seriously for the first time. Available at £85/m3 stacked kiln dried hardwood delivered duty paid. 2m3 stacked equals 3m3 loose bagged. So a delivered price equivalent for loose logs is £60 a cube.

What is the point of buying in and sweating? Having to maintain equipment solely used for splitting and moving logs around? Something isn't quite right when its cheaper to import wood over 1,500 miles.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A loose cube of logs round our way is £60. When we did logs our truck did 20 mpg and average was probably 10 miles ea way so thats £7. Until people stop selling logs cheap things wont change. You should do well if there is a shortage of cord and we have a proper winter and the price of gas stays high.

A loose cube of logs round our way is £60. When we did logs our truck did 20 mpg and average was probably 10 miles ea way so thats £7. Until people stop selling logs cheap things wont change. You should do well if there is a shortage of cord and we have a proper winter and the price of gas stays high.

A loose cube around here, has far has I know is anything from £50 to a hundred quid.

I still believe there is a (winter living) in selling on processed logs.

We used to sell imported kiln dried logs until we built our own kiln, we used a few different suppliers and none of them were any good, they claimed logs would be under 20 percent when delivered you were lucky if they were under 35 percent, apart from that the logs are very thin with kindling hidden in the middle of the crate, once these were sorted you would have 20 bags of unsalable crap, the last firm we used did a runner with £3500 of my money after having 10 loads off him, Avoid imported logs like the plague!!!

there are others, you did not try yet. If you went the cheapest road, that's what you got. We are definitely not the cheapest importers, but our logs are premium quality. We don't take upfront payments, so you get to see what you buy before you pay. We guarantee the moisture content to be under 25%internal. And kindling is sold as separate item lol. Please don't talk about everybody, until you try everybody. cheers Dan

I have talked with a few Baltic based companies and Premium Wood were the most helpful. I was going to place a trial order but it does require a pump truck to offload from a sea container that I don't possess, so in the end I couldn't follow through with the order.

Be keen to hear from anyone that has used Premium Wood because if people keep asking silly prices for cord I'm going to either pack it in or get myself a pump truck and start buying in already processed firewood.

alot of new firewood guys who started up a few years ago are now thinking the same as what weve always said - its bloody hard work and if you think your going to make a quick buck think again - its not easy

HI JOY how right you are there mate i can see why cord is £40/50 ton road side with all kit you need but it not the chaps that cut getting the cash it people like euro till hill wessex not the chaps on the ground thanks jon :thumbup:

We used to sell imported kiln dried logs until we built our own kiln, we used a few different suppliers and none of them were any good, they claimed logs would be under 20 percent when delivered you were lucky if they were under 35 percent, apart from that the logs are very thin with kindling hidden in the middle of the crate, once these were sorted you would have 20 bags of unsalable crap, the last firm we used did a runner with £3500 of my money after having 10 loads off him, Avoid imported logs like the plague!!!

Name and shame.

A