friction saver

John Shutler

If you only have a stiched eye on your climbing line and no spliced eye,

this can be a problem when feeding through the pulley when de installing. :banghead:

The stepped end of stiched eyes (whether shrink wrapped or not) can feed through if the step is on top, but if the rope twists then the step can catch on the pulley if facing downwards, and can become wedged.

One of my team :alberteinstein: has come up with this little trick to help catch a non eyed end in to the system.

These pictures should explain more simplistically.

The rubber twist is a section of bicycle inner tube.

P4030016.jpg.fffc50681956e29ba718f9f8231ac460.jpg

P4030015.jpg.5e225fff8b6ba038d479f68eeaf8aca0.jpg

P4030014.jpg.66231b2ed4f8807566c3c028ffe239af.jpg

P4030013.jpg.5dc2974f20598378d0acf4e64deace41.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 9 months later...

I was wary at first and i was happy with my ring / ring cambum saver (i still am, in smaller trees). one day i stuck a small pully up a tree in a carabiner and realised how much easier it made my life, ever since ive stuck with it. one day i even intend on getting into advanced hitches

I'll leave you to you leather rope protector which will not remove much friction. it has its place but i'm happy with my "complicated and pricey mess".

Jamie

You guys sure have a knack for making something easy, simple and very inexpensive into a complicated and pricey mess.

http://black-max.com/itemdetail.asp?item=21144&CAT=

jomoco

I believe there is a little confusion in descriptions here between friction saver and cambium saver.

The way i see it, its like Jamie says these leather types are fine for protection, but when adding a pulley to a cambium saver it then becomes a friction saver! Big difference:001_cool:

I believe there is a little confusion in descriptions here between friction saver and cambium saver.

The way i see it, its like Jamie says these leather types are fine for protection, but when adding a pulley to a cambium saver it then becomes a friction saver! Big difference:001_cool:

With all due respect guys, a little friction is a good thing in my 35 years of experience in this industry.

And the number of climbers that have been killed/crippled by having their primary bodyline roll out of a biner is rather sobering, and the reason I never use a biner as a lifeline component, redirects yes, primary lifeline anchor never.

Call me an oldschool fuddy duddy, but I'm still alive and climbing!

None of your biners can claim their ratings when the force is applied to their gate mechanisms lads, and that's a fact. Atleast use a captive eye biner if you intend to entrust your life on a biner.

jomoco