Have you every turned a tree down because you don't think your capable

Bob Rolfe

This is the crux of the matter really isn't it ...if the client can afford us to hire a crane and trust me this would of had to be a big crane to go over a tall terrace property to the back of the garden providing the road and services could take the weight of the vehicle every tree is doable ... but I don't think that's gonna happen this time ... I was actually thinking of scaffold then I slapped my face laughed and went home :-)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I turned à very large beech down à month ago huge side limbs and no decent centre tie in point, needs à crane, but the Road was very narrow. Lotts or stress, so recommended someone else, i havent turned many jobs in the last 20 years, but this one i just didnt get à good feeling.

This is the crux of the matter really isn't it ...if the client can afford us to hire a crane and trust me this would of had to be a big crane to go over a tall terrace property to the back of the garden providing the road and services could take the weight of the vehicle every tree is doable ... but I don't think that's gonna happen this time ... I was actually thinking of scaffold then I slapped my face laughed and went home :-)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Without wishing to sound like the folk of the travelling variety :sneaky2: , but could you not use a scaffold tower with out riggers for the last, biggest, section of the chunking down? Hire of those isnt much and you can take them pretty much anywhere and adjust the feet to the terrain? Obviously if its evolving rigging then it may be tricky but in theory the same as using a mewp - ie dont hit the mewp?

Hi Bob

So far I haven't turned any tree down, however I have priced to what I am capable of, ie if its 2 days work for a competent climber and I consider it tricky then i'll put in for 3 days.

I know that makes it more expensive for the client but I'd rather take my time, do it slow, know im safe and do it right than have to rush because the money isnt in the job.

I know I have lost one tree to this quoting philosophy but I am still here today :-)

Second this answer totally .

I have turned down a few mainly because the customer budget wasn't up to paying for it to be done right and also because the customers didn't ring true, the first one that springs to mind was a row of pops next to a swimming pool. The vibes I got from the customer were the pool had a problem and after the trees were down it was going to be blamed on the work carried out, I ran it past another firm and they had been out and come to the same conclusion.

I have turned down a few mainly because the customer budget wasn't up to paying for it to be done right and also because the customers didn't ring true, the first one that springs to mind was a row of pops next to a swimming pool. The vibes I got from the customer were the pool had a problem and after the trees were down it was going to be blamed on the work carried out, I ran it past another firm and they had been out and come to the same conclusion.

Sharp Pat , sharp bud ! :sneaky2: