Have you every turned a tree down because you don't think your capable

Bob Rolfe

I class myself as a proud and capable arborist with 20yrs experience and rarely turn down work for what ever the reason and I also thrive on a a climb that can scare the bejesus out of me but I come a cross a dirty great big pop last week with over a 4ft diameter ... Now for those of you that haven't met me I'm just over 5ft tall and the thought of dangling the 084 of me didn't sound like fun and the concrete garage only 15ft from the tree didn't thrill me either so I turned and run ...and i will fight again another day

Anyone else had to do similar and what's yer reason

Don't we won't laugh !

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I class myself as a proud and capable arborist with 20yrs experience and rarely turn down work for what ever the reason and I also thrive on a a climb that can scare the bejesus out of me but I come a cross a dirty great big pop last week with over a 4ft diameter ... Now for those of you that haven't met me I'm just over 5ft tall and the thought of dangling the 084 of me didn't sound like fun and the concrete garage only 15ft from the tree didn't thrill me either so I turned and run ...and i will fight again another day

Don't we won't laugh !

ive never turned away work, there is always a way to do the job. crane, mewp etc not cheap to use big kit but sometimes its the safest way and if someone wants to risk it climbing and rigging let them crack on. if you have loads of work on and dont want it tell them you dont want it. :thumbup1:

Don't we won't laugh !

Did you get it done mate? I will have a crack at it if you want

Can't get a mewp in and crane not a option on a £500 budget .. And nothing to hang the saw off just yer harness don't get me wrong I've had a 660 on my harness once with a 3ft bar .... Didn't like it lol

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hi Bob

So far I haven't turned any tree down, however I have priced to what I am capable of, ie if its 2 days work for a competent climber and I consider it tricky then i'll put in for 3 days.

I know that makes it more expensive for the client but I'd rather take my time, do it slow, know im safe and do it right than have to rush because the money isnt in the job.

I know I have lost one tree to this quoting philosophy but I am still here today :-)

We were set to take down a big oak, right over pool, garage, fences etc... I climbed it only to find in the main tie in and rigging leader a very bad decayed d topping wound. I could fit my boot in it. I called the boss and said we would need a crane, but the HO couldn't pay another 2 grand on top so we went to do 4 pruning jobs and made the Same money in a day.