Heights

ambo100

height is no probelm its what you are on thats the issue - i can feel comfortable at 100ft plus if im on something solid. but be half that and be having a twitchy bum if my only real working anchor point is sketchy. I here ya all on the wobbly tooth pick once the top is off. But there is being a bit nervous and being scared witless, a bit of fear keeps you in check. - but always remember the ground will stop you if you fall and if you dont kill your self doing something stupid, old age will.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggaz

right but wrong.

The mass of the attatched limbs and leaves damps the induced movements caused by the climber.

Once down to a bare pole it becomes more "lively", plus the not inconsiderable psychological factor of feeling more exposed.

QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's both. That is to say, inertia and damping.The same reasons that lion-tailing in excessively crown-lifted trees can cause stem fractures or failures. I stripped a 30 metre poplar last year and I remember going right up to teh top (c.27m) to recover cambium saver and start discing down and it was juddering something terrible. I had to just hang onup there for a minute or two to convince myself that if it had held all that canopy which I had just taken off it would hold me long enough to knock a few lumps off it.

The wobble is due to the oscillating frequency of the stem. The limbs oscillate at differing frequencies to the main stem and so when energy is introduced, i.e. a climber bouncing about, the limbs 'kill' [read: damp] the oscillations or vibrations.

When working on a tree try leaving just a single branch on the section with your anchor point. Leave it there until you're done and remove only at the end of operations. You'll find the difference amazing.

Nice to see some honest answers! Only been climbing 6 months or so now, but getting slowly used to the heights. The only thing I struggle with is trust in the tree, thinking is that anchor actually strong enough, and when doing branch walks, even though I'm not going to go very far, it's all in the head!

Also agree with most others, did a sycamore a few weeks back, totally fine and just as quick as anyone else until I got to the top and they were nothing below me!

It's all about confidence the more you climb, the easier and less worrying it will be! I never turn jobs down, don't mind been thrown in at the deep end because it brings you on a lot!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

It's all good till the wind blows and the tree wobbles, I won't go higher than 6' on a ladder though! I am very fearful at heights and have a very strong phobia of hitting the ground, but climbing gives you that sort of rush, it's addictive

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App