Stove floor plates

richardwale

Just taken delivery of a Burley 12 kw stove. Our old stove was an inset stove so we are blocking off the old fireplace and having a free standing one instead. We have oak flooring and my question is, will a 20mm resin floor plate on the oak floor be safe? I know the regs state 12mm if the stove hearth does not reach 100 c. Cheers

I think your understanding of a 12mm thick hearth if not 100 deg+ is only partially correct. I think the stove manufacturer has to have had the stove certified that it meets this. E.g I have a Stovax Stove stands off the hearth on 4" legs. Hearth will not get above 100 deg but it is not certified so I need a 250mm constructional hearth.

this link may help.

Stove hearth size and thickness, UK stove building regs

check your stoves certification.

All depends on the stove and wether a constructional hearth is necessary or not. Uncertified stove = constructional hearth to my understanding. I tend to put one in anyway for customers. In my lounge I have a big slab of slate, 30mm thick straight on floorboards. Won't pass Regs, but been that way for years with no problems. Only problem is if your getting your stove fitted profesionally the installer needs to sign it off, so, that's why I usually go for decent hearth as it can't be wrong.

James

I learned too late what I thought was a brilliant option... Secondhand slate beds from snooker tables on eBay, bugger all money (pardon my French but I was gutted when I saw the price and realised how much I'd paid for a couple of basic chunks of quarried slate).

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If the stove manufacturer advises that the temperature of the hearth does not rise to above 100 C when then stove is in operation then a 12mm thick hearth plate can be used above a combustible floor. This is as per Approved Doc J of the building regs.

I am just in the process of taking on a Burley dealership, I have found them quite helpful, I would suggest you call your supplier and ask the question. If the supplier cannot answer then get them to ask Burley.

I cannot see an 11kw on the Burley site but looking at this from the Burley web site suggests to me that you would be ok with a 12mm thick non combustible hearth.

WELCOME TO BURLEY

On the slate hearth question the heat from a stove may crack a single slab of slate/granite etc. Have it cut into smaller pieces no more than about 300mm square. The joints between the slabs will allow for any heat expansion.

A

Edited by Alycidon