So you think your saw is fast?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Ah. Another super dooper ported saw......

Try working with that all day long.

It's a toy for showing, not for working. It's a racing hot saw. Would probably last a couple of days of constant running felling and logging.

You can always tell a racing saw as it will get started, cut and stopped. Not continue to cut more than a couple of discs.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quite fast but thats a small log though, try this one for size...

No that's no more impressive because like for like it's slower. Pound for pound, engine size and wood size, the hot saws are better.

A V8 of circa 5000cc in 30" wood vs a single cylinder of circa 100cc in 10" wood... all in perpective:biggrin:

Work saw you say. Here is a woods ported 084 running stock piston. No pop up etc work done.

Had 1 with domed pop up piston too.

This saw earns a living with 50" plus bar ripping hardwoods now.

I think it is the same saw in my avatar pic on the left side.

21" b+c at a racing gtg in 8x8 yellow poplar Thinking just a 9T that day, even though was faster with 10T and 11T in small wood.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdvsneWXN4&list=FLLUZaf1BgCpRbTWbpfG1lFA&index=2]NW PA GTG Cut4Fun Stihl 084 - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by Cut4fun

Work saw you say. Here is a woods ported 084 running stock piston. No pop up etc work done.

Had 1 with domed pop up piston too.

This saw earns a living with 50" plus bar ripping hardwoods now.

I think it is the same saw in my avatar pic on the left side.

21" b+c at a racing gtg in 8x8 yellow poplar Thinking just a 9T that day, even though was faster with 10T and 11T in small wood.

NW PA GTG Cut4Fun Stihl 084 - YouTube

Yep ! another quickie !!!!!!

The smaller saws with expansion boxes are far more impressive than those dragsters with the car removed (needing two americans to lift them).

At least you 'could' work with the saw from the original clip. Only problem is that clip showed it using a tank of fuel!

Still great to see people having fun.

Maybe some clips of really fast hand saws - anyone up for the Silky challenge?

Ah. Another super dooper ported saw......

Try working with that all day long.

It's a toy for showing, not for working. It's a racing hot saw. Would probably last a couple of days of constant running felling and logging.

You can always tell a racing saw as it will get started, cut and stopped. Not continue to cut more than a couple of discs.

I somehow doubt anyone is thinking that Echo 8800 is for milling.

A 'woods' ported saw can last nearly as long as a standard saw. I have an Echo 50cc saw I ported 3 years ago that is still working every day in forestry.

I somehow doubt anyone is thinking that Echo 8800 is for milling.

A 'woods' ported saw can last nearly as long as a standard saw. I have an Echo 50cc saw I ported 3 years ago that is still working every day in forestry.

:thumbup:

Echo engines leave a lot on the table in terms of tunability for sure; makes them a #1 choice for rodding. What did you do to yours? Any pics? Is it a cs-510? Muffler gutted and richened H screw or no tampering on the H at all? Thanks.

:thumbup:

Echo engines leave a lot on the table in terms of tunability for sure; makes them a #1 choice for rodding. What did you do to yours? Any pics? Is it a cs-510? Muffler gutted and richened H screw or no tampering on the H at all? Thanks.

A well-done muffler mod on a 50cc Echo can garner a LOT of gain. A man on the AS forum has a home-made dyno that showed a 20% increase simply adding the factory dual port muffler front to a STIHL 460 and retuning the carb. Problem is a good MM can be loud. :(

HEre's my CS-520(US market) I recorded simply to share the sound. Hrm... bar is a tad loose ;). This is after the 2nd time ported.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlRuyVtQI5I&list=TL8eBz7nVnap8]Echo CS-520 Ported - YouTube[/ame]

I removed the internal baffle and added a 3/4" hole to the outlet next to the factory 1/2" or so outlet. There was a lot of tampering with the H ;)

I went into the cylinder itself a few times since I didn't have a degree wheel to work with at the time. So, I can't say what the timing specs were. But it was relatively mild compared to what I have seen some folks do. Randy/MAstermind has a GREAT thread on a ported 520 or 510(basically the same saw nearly stateside) on the AS forum. However, it did surprise a few lads on the crews I was on in southern England. :)

I'm currently trying to hunt down a decent price on the new CS-500P that's out. Do they have them in England yet?

Edited by wyk

A well-done muffler mod on a 50cc Echo can garner a LOT of gain. A man on the AS forum has a home-made dyno that showed a 20% increase simply adding the factory dual port muffler front to a STIHL 460 and retuning the carb. Problem is a good MM can be loud. :(

HEre's my CS-520(US market) I recorded simply to share the sound. Hrm... bar is a tad loose ;). This is after the 2nd time ported.

I removed the internal baffle and added a 3/4" hole to the outlet next to the factory 1/2" or so outlet. There was a lot of tampering with the H ;)

I went into the cylinder itself a few times since I didn't have a degree wheel to work with at the time. So, I can't say what the timing specs were. But it was relatively mild compared to what I have seen some folks do. Randy/MAstermind has a GREAT thread on a ported 520 or 510(basically the same saw nearly stateside) on the AS forum. However, it did surprise a few lads on the crews I was on in southern England. :)

I'm currently trying to hunt down a decent price on the new CS-500P that's out. Do they have them in England yet?

Yes the 500p is here (echo badged shindaiwa obviously); was it this one that inspired you?!!! :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmJMXVhvV6I]ECHO CS-500P MUFFLEUR - YouTube[/ame]

I want this one:

[ame]

[/ame]