Do these bad pictures look like Inonotus dryadeus to you?

As to the future of the tree I will be giving it an aerial inspection, dead wooding and searching for anything else that might be stressing the tree. Then putting together a management plan taking into account the nearby road and outbuildings below.

From what I've read about this fungus it's not particulary agressive and needs to team up with other factors to overcome the host.

it's a tiny small bracket on a large oak which looks in rude health (from the floor), be interesting to see what I find upstairs and downstairs also when I poke about the base/roots.

cheers for ident confirmation!

a word of caution (to the thread in general) if I may.

the failure risk from I dryadeus is low as others have alluded to,

but it is a decayer of wood none the less.

This veteran was in a line of old oaks which afforded it some 'shared' protection from wind load.

It had a relatively full canopy with good extension growth and leaf vitality.

It failed during strong winds (but out of leaf) & missed a passing dog walker by about 30 seconds.

During inspection, I believe it to be prudent to pay particular attention to the vitality of the individual buttresses & associated root flair, this may mean some excavation.

11.jpg.5bc1087b0894f612019f9ee490981557.jpg

12.jpg.4d68282a734ee57c08c9b40c00670e41.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg.6c767a16767ff452225ea7f048a802ef.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg.621e696b182505695485d6cbff5655a7.jpg

IMG_0009.JPG.d0d70db5d25766a957f85dc88bc9d8e3.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one I've been working on. This was the third time and the first was 9yrs ago.

Crown die back is significant and the Dryaedus brackets have increased I'm quantity each time I visit.

Every time I visit, the client says he wants to fell it but I manage to talk him around.

First two jobs were dead wood removal and this time I've pruned back into the live wood as a first step towards retrenchment pruning.

Sorry but forgot to get a crown photo, this time.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1376248379.938107.jpg.9f33449cee9d67361c959162e8b9d5bc.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1376248403.844409.jpg.12e594ba321d44db9d3ca7a05fe92691.jpg

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Here's one I've been working on. This was the third time and the first was 9yrs ago.

Crown die back is significant and the Dryaedus brackets have increased I'm quantity each time I visit.

Every time I visit, the client says he wants to fell it but I manage to talk him around.

First two jobs were dead wood removal and this time I've pruned back into the live wood as a first step towards retrenchment pruning.

Sorry but forgot to get a crown photo, this time.

[ATTACH]131755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]131756[/ATTACH]

Why????????:confused1:

Haven't you read the rest of the thread????????:confused1::biggrin:

Yes, but if the client does not want it why convince them to keep it, fell and replant with two new trees.

Its hardly a thing of beauty and certainly not something I'd want in my garden.

Maybe, but thats not how it reads to me.

That's cos you're up north where the air is thin.

Only joking Dave.

Actually, my client doesn't understand the fungi/tree relationship and my effort of "talking him round" is educating him and reassuring him that it's ok to have a diseased tree in your garden.

It's actually a fabulous tree and I reckon it can be retained for a long time. My client likes the tree but just gets nervous.

The tree is also home to a wood pecker, bats and loads of insects. We've also used some if the wood that's been removed to make a habitat pile close by that is now packed with life.

If a tree has a fungi, like I. dryadeus, does that justify major soil works?

Depends on the objective; if owner thinks long term and budget is there why not?

Does I.dryadeus equal poor conditions and ill health?

Who knows what tomorrow might bring? (Winwood/Mason)

Or is it just a recycling heart rotter, that is part and parcel of the Oak as an Eco system in its own right, which just happens to be capable of causing 1 or two in a thousand to fail in difficult circumstances?"

If that could change to 1 or 2 in a million, may be worth it. Depends on the objective. :001_rolleyes: Happy to let recycling and tsse happen; just would rather let the tree retain the asset that it is. :001_rolleyes:

That's cos you're up north where the air is thin.

Only joking Dave.

Actually, my client doesn't understand the fungi/tree relationship and my effort of "talking him round" is educating him and reassuring him that it's ok to have a diseased tree in your garden.

It's actually a fabulous tree and I reckon it can be retained for a long time. My client likes the tree but just gets nervous.

The tree is also home to a wood pecker, bats and loads of insects. We've also used some if the wood that's been removed to make a habitat pile close by that is now packed with life.

Cool, that makes sense, I only asked why to find out more :001_smile: