Hedge translocation.

wildewood

300 metres of hedge to move a couple of metres way from existing line. Established and mostly native species. 4 metres at its widest, up to 3 metres high. Any mature trees in amongst it all will be removed.

Does any-one have experience of moving a hedge?

The question I need answered is; what is the survival rate likely to be?

The new bank will be constructed with new soil and soil enhancers.

Thanks.

I've transplanted some hedge if similar size to fill some gaps in an existing hedge with good results but nothing on that scale.

I'd go big!

Get a decent sized digger, so you can take out a rather massive clump of soil.

I'd go with a 3' wide bucket and try to go that deep as well, like I said: Big digger

How come they don't want to plant new hedge?

How do you plan to move it?

Road next to/above hedge is collapsing, so a re build is required. Hedge has doormice (EPS), so licence states hedge moved a couple of metres before work starts.

I've transplanted some hedge if similar size to fill some gaps in an existing hedge with good results but nothing on that scale.

I'd go big!

Get a decent sized digger, so you can take out a rather massive clump of soil.

I'd go with a 3' wide bucket and try to go that deep as well, like I said: Big digger

1.2 metre bucket to move it. But the question is; likely survival percentage of hedge we move?

100% agree, as big a bucket on as big a digger as can be worked with.

Ideally scoop out a shallow trench to the same profile as the bucket.

After moving copious amounts of water, consider installing drip lines in the bottom and sides of the new trench, certainly along the surface.

And/or set up a dust suppressing mist gun (used to control dust on demolotion sites) to damp and cool the air along and around the transplanted hedge line.

Running 24/7 on surprisingly little water this should be very effective at preventing the killer transporation water losses.

If it could be left to Sept/Oct rather than August I would guess a surprisingly high survival rate.

I have moved and seen moved surprising large stuff moved, apparently quite roughly with a digger, but the key is one quick, minimal disturbance move only.

The soil and micro what-nots around the roots are essentially undisturbed

Edited by difflock

I would not use excavator buckets are too small try tracked loading shovel or large wheeled use chain trencher to trim the roots on either side if possible also cut into sections we used 50mm steel sheet to under cut the root plates also consider heavy thinning of the top Place into prepared trench with irrigation we used porous pipe either side . We moved 220 m for MOD with 85% success

OOPS,

DISCLAIMER................DISCLAIMER.....................DISCLAIMER.

Not a professional or technically informed opinion

but

Yes ,

I would have reckoned min 75%, hoping for 80 (ish)

N.B. Based on gut feelings only.

Dumper

Yep beauty with traxcavator type loading shovel is the out front bucket, no need to reach over.

But then one could configure a 360 in face shovel type spec by rotating the bucket 180 on its pins.

I presume seriously more akward to "dig" with everything being arse about face.

I will add my experience has been limited, and limited to "be a shame to lose that good tree, lets at least try and re-locate it, digger is going to root it out anyway.

So done without any particular forward planning and without the deal of loving care, that would otherwise apply.

PS

Dumper

Nice to see a %age figure

btw What was the cost per m or per m2 of moving 220m for the MOD.

And why was it moved?

cheers

marcus

Edited by difflock