New Stihl Policy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Repairs should always be carried out by a servicing dealer.

It's in your handbook.

What right do stihl have to tell me who should repair or carry out work on my machinery? Are you any more competent at carrying out repairs than a non-stihl registered mech? As for the book, I have a saw, book says one thing, saw is running faster

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

To be honest I would have thought a bit of common sense would have descended on Stihl by now. Even if they think that the new saw trade needs to be reigned in to face to face sales only, the fact that someone can't buy a Stihl tape measure mail order in 2013 is just highlighting their belligerence in the matter.

Stihl, just like King Canute, have failed to stop the tide coming in twice a day and, as many Arbtalkers so rightly predicted, the world didn't stop.

We have surprisingly easily found a perfectly acceptable way to continue with our business without inconvenience but, for the record, not one penny has been spent with Stihl since the announcement. Not so much out of spite, more to do with getting on with life with minimum disruption. The free advertising we gave to potential domestic users is fading fast as less and less of our kit carries the Stihl logo.

It is their business and they can decide how they want to run it. However, I am absolutely sure they will look back at the decisions they implemented in 2013 with their heads in their hands.

I would have more sympathy for this policy IF Stihl (and others) would stop selling chainsaws to untrained homeowners, or at least refuse to sell a saw unless you had ppe. Dealers won't sell you a top handled saw unless you can show them you have a ticket for it, imo you shouldn't be allowed to buy any saw unless you can prove you have been trained to use it, but then I suspect that 171/181's make up the bulk of their sales.

A chainsaw is about the most dangerous tool you can buy, and to sell them to anyone who fancies one is, I think, verging on the criminally irresponsible.

Andy...

Progress takes non prisoners, markets will adapt and high street stores will close, there's nothing you me or anyone can do about it.

I came out of the power Tool selling and repairing business because I forecast the market well in advance, I was one of the first to setup on eBay. Any good businessman should be able to forecast and diversify well in advance, stihl will learn eventually or by luck scrape through

I would have more sympathy for this policy IF Stihl (and others) would stop selling chainsaws to untrained homeowners, or at least refuse to sell a saw unless you had ppe. Dealers won't sell you a top handled saw unless you can show them you have a ticket for it, imo you shouldn't be allowed to buy any saw unless you can prove you have been trained to use it, but then I suspect that 171/181's make up the bulk of their sales.

A chainsaw is about the most dangerous tool you can buy, and to sell them to anyone who fancies one is, I think, verging on the criminally irresponsible.

It's a free country humans should have the right to buy a saw and cut there leg of if they please.

Squillions of people use saws in a none commercial setting who haven't been trained and do so quite safely too.

Just for the record, Stihl UK have merely been brought into line with Stihl Europe, we were the last European market to be apart of it. It must work over there?

There are a lot more dealers in Europe, every town almost!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App