New Stihl Policy

To me discussion about the policy itself is pointless, it's a fait accompli. What has been intriguing for me has been Stihls response. Somewhere in an office somewhere there was a conversation where someone said "what are we going to do about the inevitable firestorm about this new policy in the UK?" someone else said " nothing, we say nothing, everyone will know why we did it, if we go round listening to people moaning and keep saying to them yes we understand your problems but.... Then it will go on and on best just shut up take the flak for a while then it'll settle down" which to an extent it has before "stihl dealer in Scotland" picked at the scab again.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we all don't mind running around andy from time to time I would not want to see my local dealer go under and yes in one sense it makes sense bring stihl in house keeping the local dealer alive

I mean I run a 30-40 min trip to spud now if I cant fix my saw

but come on files ,felling wedges, chain oil, 2 stroke etc something in the back of stihls mind must have bin going they will just use any of the over brands out there

the post that got me to reply to this was the (servicing and repairs) bit should be done by a stihl dealer

like rich said this is a old can of worms and if I was a betting man I bet Mr B last post was not to far of the truth to this hole post

Well, 'Stihl dealer in Scotland' needs to be a bit more forthcoming with their name if they want free publicity. Not sure it would do them much good though. If people are local to them, they odds on know they are there and are a captive market. If people aren't local then they can't buy from them anyway. :001_rolleyes:

look at it like this felix if the post went well its easy to as steve to change there name

Fair point about the shyness, mate. I suspect as the thread progressed, they weren't feeling the love! :lol: I still say it wouldn't do them any good anyway due to Stihl's own policy of no distance sales unless, of course, there are different rules for different dealers. :sneaky2:

This Stihl policy really is stupid I broke my logging tape the other day so phoned local dealer didn't have one went home online to joneses can't buy Stihl so just bought husky one . I do agree in part with Andy Collins about carrying spares but you can't carry every thing and when you need an item ASAP then you have little option but buy what is there ,I don't think this is looking after customers thankfully most of our kit is husqvarna .

As I said in the original thread started by Jonesie, I would be very intrigued to see what kind of drop off in sales Stihl have seen from this policy change. I think that it's a falsehood to say that we are a small percentage of the market - professional users drive innovation as they are the biggest spenders. To alienate that customer group in one fell swoop is lunacy.

Surely professional users are the very reason Stihl have a large domestic market share?

It's only because amateurs want to use the same kit, as "pro's use it so it must be good".

I'm no marketing expert and the stihl name is a very strong brand indeed, but it takes a lot less time to destroy a name than it does to build one...