New Stihl Policy

As most of you will know Stihl has a new policy regarding the sale of machinery online. As dealers here in Scotland for many, many years we pride ourselves on our knowledge of the product range and welcome this move believing it is a brave one especially since it seems to have gotten a few backs up.

Stihl is a family run company and founder Andreas Stihl himself wanted his machines sold by a dealer network making sure the customer gets the personal touch ensuring the right machine is sold to suit their individual needs.

An example to this, only yesterday we had an elderly gentleman looking for a FS40 Trimmer, on finding this difficult to start we advised that he should try the FS 50 with "Ergostart" this would never have happened online. He received a personally tailored recommendation which is only guaranteed with a face to face sales encounter. Had he purchased what he thought would suit him, the FS40 Trimmer, he would have had a negative impression of the power tool and therefore the brand.

I hope this helps to clear things up.

:thumbup:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for clearing that up.

FTR It doesn't really bother me as there is an excellent Stihl Dealership very close by.

I do believe that not many have a problem with the purchase of machinery - But what if the same elderly gentleman had made a round trip from a rural area of say 40 miles away to purchase said trimmer with Ergostart. On the second time of using said trimmer there is a problem with the starter system and the trimmer has to be returned as one of the components is faulty. This scenario of the 80 mile round trip is fine for an elderly gentleman who may have the time and wants a trimmer that does what it says on the tin.

On the other hand a busy Arb pops over to grab a new 660 for a job he has coming up that week. On the first day of using the chain break handle goes to Jelly from the heat of the exhaust. (Not unheard of) He then has to take another afternoon of work to make the 80 mile round trip for the sake of a 20 quid handle that could have been sent in the post. Or an MS200t needing new clutch springs... the list of scenarios is endless.

That is what people seem to have a problem with.

Why should Andreas Stihl tell me where to spend my money? :001_smile:

I agree entirely.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I have an excellent still dealership within 3 miles of my house. Parts and equipment are readily available, plus I have never purchased any Stihl equipment online.

That being said, I am not going to purchase anything Stihl unless absolutely necessary and I have no other option!

I have already started with Sugihara bars for my saws.

I really hope that Stihl's next quartely results will be poorer than a tramp on Oxford street.