Why go abroad

Dean Lofthouse

Why go abroad? Many reasons, one of them being that it helps you realise that where you live is not the centre of the universe, your culture,language and way of life is not the default setting for the rest of humanity.

I must be as narrow minded and sceptical as you are as I completely agree. :D

Dean - I too am a fan of the 'staycation' and having lived next door in Lancs for several years I can also agree that Yorkshire is (mostly) very picturesque and has a wealth of natural assets (see what I did there?).

However when someone disagrees with your position you tend to very quick to question their life experiences. You go for the person and not their argument. There's nothing about the quoted text above that warrants that IMO.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why go abroad? Many reasons, one of them being that it helps you realise that where you live is not the centre of the universe, your culture,language and way of life is not the default setting for the rest of humanity.

I completely agree, which is why I tend not to holiday in Norfolk. As soon as I cross the border I feel the sense of differentness. The great big black ribbons of tarmac called Motorways (apparently), the way people seem to be speaking a different language and are always late for something (just had to look up the meaning of the word late as it doesn't exist in the Norfolk vocabulary). I also strongly suspect that people outside Norfolk may be of a different sub-species to us, they never seem to have enough fingers or toes.

Anyway eventually I find myself in France and get down to my prefered region of the Auvergne. All is well, cos it's just like home really. The people and attitudes are much the same, the food is, well, it's different. Tasty though. I love that when I go to get pain-au-chocolat in the mornings, I can get a really good cup of coffee and a brandy in the bar next door, and no one bats an eyelid.

I must be as narrow minded and sceptical as you are as I completely agree. :D

Dean - I too am a fan of the 'staycation' and having lived next door in Lancs for several years I can also agree that Yorkshire is (mostly) very picturesque and has a wealth of natural assets (see what I did there?).

However when someone disagrees with your position you tend to very quick to question their life experiences. You go for the person and not their argument. There's nothing about the quoted text above that warrants that IMO.

Meant more a a friendly rib than a personal attack, but I do base my pish taking on all past posts as well as present, so as to give a well informed view rather than a narrow minded view. :);)

Travel and experience. Broadens your horizons. Stops you getting too self centred maybe. I don't know. maybe it's just in us to travel. Reach for the stars sort of thing cos if you stay where you are, eventually you go backwards.

Funny how 2 weeks of sun changes the way we see our country.

Besides coming across the promotional video, what got me thinking is I did a job on a street last week which is only a few hundred yards from my house, despite living here nearly twenty years, I had never been along that street before and it was a whole new experience :lol:

Many of us have been abroad and seen a lot of stuff, I have travelled with the forces and seen a lot in my time, but thinking about it I have seen very few tourist attractions in Yorkshire itself, very little in fact, I just think you tend to dismiss or take for granted what's on your doorstep

Besides coming across the promotional video, what got me thinking is I did a job on a street last week which is only a few hundred yards from my house, despite living here nearly twenty years, I had never been along that street before and it was a whole new experience :lol:

Many of us have been abroad and seen a lot of stuff, I have travelled with the forces and seen a lot in my time, but thinking about it I have seen very few tourist attractions in Yorkshire itself, very little in fact, I just think you tend to dismiss or take for granted what's on your doorstep

I agree, Britain has so much to offer. It always amazes me how much variation is in such a small country. from beautiful coastlines, wild moors and hills, citys and towns large and small- some niceish!, some not nice at all.

I choose to holiday in Britain for this reason, there is so much I havn,t seen. I also prefer just to jump in the car, travel for a bit and be at my destination no stress, I can,t be bothered waiting/booking and generally faffing with flights and spend a lot of money in the process when I can have a very enjoyable holiday not far from my doorstep.

There are countries I will visit over time but im talking every 5-8 years and then I will really visit that country properly rather then a flighting 2 weeks or so.

Travel and experience. Broadens your horizons. Stops you getting too self centred maybe. I don't know. maybe it's just in us to travel. Reach for the stars sort of thing cos if you stay where you are, eventually you go backwards.

Funny how 2 weeks of sun changes the way we see our country.

Ok. So it just must be me then. I hate travelling. Hate planes.

Not narrow minded, just don't like it. Headaches and all. Holidays are always near by. Well not many miles away anyway. In uk. Next year is travelling to Cornwall, and up and back through Somerset. Then home.

If I get a caravan sorted by then that is.

Ok. So it just must be me then. I hate travelling. Hate planes.

Not narrow minded, just don't like it. Headaches and all. Holidays are always near by. Well not many miles away anyway. In uk. Next year is travelling to Cornwall, and up and back through Somerset. Then home.

If I get a caravan sorted by then that is.

You live in Dover! I'm closer to you than Cornwall:001_smile: