Vehicle winch. Which one?

Bren.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever I see a question about winches this is my answer. Superwinch husky. I've had two, they've been around for years, are solid well built spares are no problems, no brake to worry about. Just fit an Albright solenoid and your laughing. There also cheap cos most people think there too slow, they are a little slow, but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. The only issue with electric winches is the duty cycle of them, there not designed to run too long at once. If you want to be dragging all day then you need pto or hydraulic, the h14 is basically a bigger version of the husky, I bought one to fit my 90 but its so big and heavy on the front it too caused me issues, so I've now bought a milemarker, all I can say is I'm not very impressed with the build compared to the husky, but time will tell.

In summary get a second hand husky 200-300 quid, spend 50 quid on an Albright. And your sorted. Also wouldn't bother with synthetic winch line either, a looked after steel cable is fine.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Mike, been there with the synthetic line, and agree with you, the pros don't outweigh the cons (although I do think that they are safer).

Yes they are a lot of money, but, and it's a big one, from looking at them, reckon I could leave it to my boy when I die.

Am going to give the huskies a closer look though.

Thanks for the input.

Might even give the Milemarkers another look, despite my prejudice towards US manufacturing standards.

Edited by Bren.

They did do a hydraulic husky, in fact you can get the parts to convert them from Superwinch, but, when I enquired they said it was big money. I'd snap one up if I could instead of my mm, unfortunately only ever seen one for sale.

Another thing that slightly puzzles me, the h14 is 14,000lb the mm is 12,000lb I think, the h14 uses 8 base bolts and two front bolts to mount, the mm just uses four smaller diam base bolts. Seems a bit wrong to me, maybe Superwinch over engineered the h14, who knows

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I've got a milemarker on a Defender and I have to say it has plenty of pull but I don't think it is very well made - I doubt I'd buy another. I bought a chipper with a Warn 9000 fitted which was a lot better than I expected, and have since fitted a Winchmax (cheap eBay jobby) to another chipper that is absolutely amazing! Very well made (the only poor bit is the remote switch, easily replaced) - I can't recommend them highly enough. You could buy 6 of them before you covered the cost of a new hydraulic set up...

I can only imagine your wiring loom disaster was caused by incorrect fitting somehow - this isn't meant as a dig by the way. There isn't a lot of technical wiring in a winch, you just need good leads to the battery and a 12v supply to the solenoid.

I think you are right a bout the wiring, but it was factory fitted, so dig away.

It's just the way that the hydraulic winches work that impresses me.

They pull like hell, response is instant and there's none of that feeling that something could break at any minute.

They just don't feel as if they're working hard if you get my meaning.