saving up vs financing for new (2ndhand!) truck

arbmark

Have you tried interest-free finance been doing this for the last 15 to 16 years but you have to be very on yourself otherwise you can get Into deep credit. On a couple of occasions I've even had a bank paid me £120 ish For the privilege of taking £5000 off their hands for three years believe it or Not🍸🍸🍻

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to buy a new vehicle and save up half the cost put the rest on a personal loan. If you put it on hp its easier for them to snatch it back and leave you with nothing if you default on payment. I never intended to stop payments but in these times you never know when a breather might be needed. If its on a personal loan and you have paid a large part off they will struggle to get your truck especially if its essential to earn a living. After loads of problems with new trucks I now run 4 olds ones all now over 10 years old. New diesels have become far too electronic and unreliable.

No. The road tax is £220 for all the commercial defenders now. Only way it would be a higher bracket would be if it was a car type, i,e, one with windows in the rear panels.

Having said that, I know someone who has just bought a 2008 90 pick up from main dealer and they had it listed as the higher tax bracket. Apparently lots of people had been put off from buying it as a result, but my mate did the vehicle enquiry check on it, found out the dealer had it wrong, so he took it off their hands for a song:001_rolleyes::thumbup1:

"even on commercials? "

Unless 2 dealers are wrong or i'm missing something its £490-

Land Rover Used Vehicle Locator

We're £215 on an 05 plate commercial. Don't know about brand new, but I know a non-commercial 05 plate would be about double that.

As far as the finance thing goes, if you run an old truck you tend (or at least I do) to spend a fair bit on maintenance, both preventative and reactive. If you put that money into finance to get a newer vehicle you're no worse off financially, but hopefully you get the reliability out of the newer motor so you're not suffering down time. That said, I'd do whatever I could to avoid, or at least minimise, the amount you're borrowing.

We're £215 on an 05 plate commercial. Don't know about brand new, but I know a non-commercial 05 plate would be about double that.

As far as the finance thing goes, if you run an old truck you tend (or at least I do) to spend a fair bit on maintenance, both preventative and reactive. If you put that money into finance to get a newer vehicle you're no worse off financially, but hopefully you get the reliability out of the newer motor so you're not suffering down time. That said, I'd do whatever I could to avoid, or at least minimise, the amount you're borrowing.

Also later vehicles look better to the customer, are nicer to own and drive, Feels better going to work in a new vehicle rather than a pile of smoking bones.

I hope this doesn't sound like a derail, instead a useful bit of info to be taken into consideration as per thread title. Hope it's slightly relevant:001_huh:

"even on commercials? "

Unless 2 dealers are wrong or i'm missing something its £490-

Yep, it sure looks like they have it wrong!

That land rover is commercial and will come out at £220 a year.

I feel the dealerships may have lost a few sales as a result of this error:sneaky2:

I've been on DVLA website and checked the vehicle showing its plate, and hopefully my cut and paste will show details available. All you need to know is reg number and make of vehicle and this is readily availible free;

Quote;

Services provided by DVLA:

Vehicle enquiry

The enquiry is complete.The vehicle details for WJ13 OTL are:

Date of Liability 01 03 2014

Date of First Registration 26 03 2013

Year of Manufacture 2013

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2198cc

CO2 Emissions 266g/Km

Fuel Type HEAVY OIL

Export Marker N

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour GREEN

Vehicle Type Approval N1

Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £121.00

12 Months Rate £220.00

Please be aware that if the vehicle has recently been relicensed or a SORN declared, these details may not yet be updated on the vehicle record.

I'm not sure a direct link will work on the actual vehicle search as it times out, so here's a link for anyone who would like to use the service in the future. It maybe worth bookmarking it as it's sure hard to find in the maze of dvla! Just use the link below then click on "vehicle enquiry" down the left side and follow the instructions.

Hope this is of use to some of you;

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/home/intro?skin=directgov