invalidate insurances.

Jesse

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Rupe will be able to set things straight but as far as my insurance goes I have employees liability cover which includes bonafide sub contractors cover. And as all ways you should read the small print or try a different insurance company.

Sent from Outerspace.

Random one this, only found out today that if any of your subies does not have insurances in place it will invalidate all of your own insurances , came from reading the small print of Arborisk policy. Discuss. :001_smile:

Here is my take on that. AFAIK

Lets define subie (sub contractor). A sub contractor is a contractor that you hand a job or part of a job over to wholesale, they are largely free to do it as, when and how they please.

Most insurers will have a condition like this, I have never had a PL policy that didn't.

The condition can only apply to relevant insurances rather than all insurances. It cant negate road risk for instance for example.

It wont apply to freelance labour (often mistakenly called sub contractor) because they are classed as employee for the day.

Best get and cancel mine if its not worth the paper its written on save £3000 a year. :thumbup:

Why is it not worth the paper?

If your sub contractor has no insurance should you be giving jobs to them?

For your own piece of mind you ought to be checking they have insurance.

If they muck up it will bight you in the rear, ambulance chasing lawyers and all that.

I'm sure Rupe will be able to set things straight but as far as my insurance goes I have employees liability cover which includes bonafide sub contractors cover. And as all ways you should read the small print or try a different insurance company.

Sent from Outerspace.

Ha, am I that much of a bore? Yes, I know I am.

This is the same "subbie" mix up!

To the original poster, you are correct that bona fide subcontractors should have thier own insurance, but self employed blokes that are hired in for the day (often called subbies) are not bona fide subcontractors, they are employees for the day, and they do not need their own insurance.

Insurance companies do not recognise the word "subbies" so if you use that word they will infere "sub contractors" which is a different thing.

So, when little jonny wants to be self employed and he phones the insurance company and say he's going to be a subby, they will happpilly sell him public liability insurance for sub contractors regardless of the fact its worthless. Of course they could say no, no, keep your money you dont need this policy, but they arent going to are they.

And PMH, you will probably find that your EL that covers sub contractors might well require them to have their own insurance, which is what the OP is on about, but I woud think its the PL side of things thats important, so your covered to hire in another tree company and your protected from your liability for anything they do wrong, provided you have made sure they have their own PL insurance. Not really an EL issue I wouldnt think.

Ha, am I that much of a bore? Yes, I know I am.

This is the same "subbie" mix up!

To the original poster, you are correct that bona fide subcontractors should have thier own insurance, but self employed blokes that are hired in for the day (often called subbies) are not bona fide subcontractors, they are employees for the day, and they do not need their own insurance.

Insurance companies do not recognise the word "subbies" so if you use that word they will infere "sub contractors" which is a different thing.

So, when little jonny wants to be self employed and he phones the insurance company and say he's going to be a subby, they will happpilly sell him public liability insurance for sub contractors regardless of the fact its worthless. Of course they could say no, no, keep your money you dont need this policy, but they arent going to are they.

And PMH, you will probably find that your EL that covers sub contractors might well require them to have their own insurance, which is what the OP is on about, but I woud think its the PL side of things thats important, so your covered to hire in another tree company and your protected from your liability for anything they do wrong, provided you have made sure they have their own PL insurance. Not really an EL issue I wouldnt think.

No mate, you just seem to know about insurance.

Sent from Outerspace.