So what is the right price?

nod

I hope that place this is for Le. &Kev

The point I was trying to make Earlier we work Within the law but there are some out there that don't. How we chose To sell ourselves Within the law

It is down to the Individual. It's the law breaker We should be concerned about Hope this is a bit clearer

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately I have low prperty overheads. I can do 2 guys and a truck for way less than £400, if I don't someone else will. Better to work for a fairly miserable takehome than sit at said home penniless and fume at the state of the market, lack of regulation, the number of cowboys etc. The state of the market is a reflection on vast oversupply of workers compared to 5 years ago and inability of most people who feel their skills are undervalued to switch to another trade, where competition is just as bad. Doing good work sorts the sheep from the lambs in the long-term. I can't do poor work if I try! My clients often get top quality for cowboy prices from me. Word soon gets around that you are good. And cheap. The latter is negotiable when you reach a new referral client. The former isn't.

I hope that place this is for Le. &Kev

The point I was trying to make Earlier we work Within the law but there are some out there that don't. How we chose To sell ourselves Within the law

It is down to the Individual. It's the law breaker We should be concerned about Hope this is a bit clearer

Ok, gotcha,

Now this thread is always running in some form or other, and always the theme is the same, Someone or other who perceives themselves as a law abiding qualified,blah blah blah is bemoaning the lack of work on Gypsies/college leavers/gardeners who get above themselves or in a new twist unworthy clients who don't swoon with admiration when you shove a portfolio under their nose whilst eyeing up their trees. (None of these worthy people ever run an overloaded van or get a bloke from the pub to drag brash on a big day of course)

Here's an idea instead of blaming these people (who have after all always been there) look at yourself, where am I going wrong? the rest of the world won't change you will have to.

Anyway it's no big deal just something to think about.:001_smile:

I see you now

You like to assume then take it from there no harm done Not once have I mentioned Gypsy/College Leavers/Gardners. Portfolios Etc etc. And when the law says I need this piece of paper to run this machine I will get That piece of paper on the sole purpose if something goes wrong I have that said piece of paper I am covered.

And as for stopping and taking a look at myself And saying what am I doing wrong 🍑assumption🍌

The past seven years of my life have been the most profitable🍸🍸🍸

Gone are the Six-Day week

It was four day week💰💰💰💰

I see you now

You like to assume then take it from there no harm done Not once have I mentioned Gypsy/College Leavers/Gardners. Portfolios Etc etc. And when the law says I need this piece of paper to run this machine I will get That piece of paper on the sole purpose if something goes wrong I have that said piece of paper I am covered.

And as for stopping and taking a look at myself And saying what am I doing wrong 🍑assumption🍌

The past seven years of my life have been the most profitable🍸🍸🍸

Gone are the Six-Day week

It was four day week💰💰💰💰

Good for you! Tbf it was not aimed at you specifically, I should not have quoted you on my post.

As a service i think it can be hard for people to grasp, some may do stuff in half the time and be vastly cheaper than the other. It just depends on what your setup is, the market is always ruled by peoples judgement, a client might ask you to prune a couple of branches but a better tongued company owner might convince them to do something else be it cheaper or more expensive.

I see it as a subjective pricing system but ultimately its just business and whatever value someone has on it is up to them really.

Where i am people charge between £380.00-£420.00 for 2 guys and a chipper per day a bit more if chapter 8 is required. Thats the rough price and no vat added because most are under the vat threshold.

My opinion but the way i see it. Sorry if you dont agree.

Granted we all do things slightly differently and at different speeds while on the job. Come the end of the day when you've been paid you still need to make ends meet.

For me, I want to work with good staff which means paying a fair wage. You need to train staff, run reliable vehicles and chippers, regularly replace gear and take a wage that reflects the hours we put in plus make a profit to carry the business forward. I just can't see how that can be done for less than 200 per man day. Something's got to give.

To many people look to what others are doing, charging, saying rather than concentrating on their own work. Who cares if someone is £100 cheaper or took 2m less off the tree than you would have.

If everyone is running round working for £300 for a team then perhaps there's a gap on the market for a more expensive firm who are delivering a better standard of work. Your selling your clients short if you believe they are all looking for bottom line price over quality of work.

It's the nature of the thing people want a cheap job generally. I work for a company during the week but do a bit for meself if I get it at the weekend so people might say I'm driving the price down as I'm gonna be cheaper than most because my costs are low. But my work is good so people get me back. I'm hardly going to refuse the work because its of the books or cheaper than someone else. And my boss is grand with me doing nixers.

Sent using My c

If plumbers have organised themselves and stick to their 'industry wide' day rate is it really fair to blame the consumers perception of value?

Could it be more that the "white van man" plumbers are forced out of the plumbing industry because of the need for corgi registration, hence the undercutting is cut to a minimum.

Whereas the tree industry is totally unregulated.

I do not drop my price for anybody, if someone has quote cheaper then let them have the job, I am quite open with customers about this. If I can't make what my business model requires then like Mike says, I,ll start another business doing something else that does. I have no desire to work like a pig for nothing

It's the nature of the thing people want a cheap job generally. I work for a company during the week but do a bit for meself if I get it at the weekend so people might say I'm driving the price down as I'm gonna be cheaper than most because my costs are low. But my work is good so people get me back. I'm hardly going to refuse the work because its of the books or cheaper than someone else. And my boss is grand with me doing nixers.

Sent using My c

Different kettle of fish because your not running a business