So what is the right price?

nod

In light of the recent thread closer I thought it would be interesting to discuss what people think the work they do is worth! I mean really worth in relation to the other industries, other countries etc.

Obviously any discussion won't have bosses & clients running to the tissue box to quell tears of sympathy or to the cheque book either, for that matter. But I think that it is quite relevant to a sense of well being & content in the work place.

We are all underpaid but we need to get a grip on the fact that it won't change overnight.

Is it a chicken & egg thing that we want to get paid top dollar, at the same time we want to pay bottom dollar for top dollar supplies?

What say you? Good People!:001_smile:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think supplies and services can be looked at in the same way.

I've always looked towards getting my equipment from those I trust and offer me the best kit even if it does come at a premium, like everything though I expect the same respect in return, which leads to the happy and content I'm always content even if I pay more as long as I feel fairly treated. A supplier needs to always make sure he and his staff do that for the good of the company!

Services wise I cannot comment.

I've only ever wanted a decent weeks wage for a easy days work....

I think a lot depends on your business model, I make more % profit now than I did with loads of staff and turn over, so I can work for less than I used to and make more!

we'll never get paid top dollar as people don't have a high value of trees and an hours work on their central heating boiler is worth more than a days pruning!

and then of course your going to do all the work for free, as you want the fire wood.

marc, they are the same. you said that you'd pay more for supplies if you got good service from knowledgeable staff, is that not the same as what would give more value on a tree job?

Yeah in many ways, Judge I just find supplying industry goods to guys that need it is different from the freelance climbers who want the day rate they are worth, or the company getting the price they want to cover the business running costs-profit-and some on top for future investment in kit or staff.

Having worked in Germany where I was paid a decent rate, one thing I need notice in Germany was my rate compared to those even better than me were far greater, where as in the UK I am paid nearly top climber rates.

The Germans are not that different from us and from what I saw they appreciate why it costs what it does. Alas it does appear it may be changing who knows in 20 years what will change there as more see it as a high earning profession I could see rates staying fixed as cost of living goes up much like here when I remember a good climber in the 90's getting paid he rates I see today.

the German system is different though, much stricter, if you have a business, you must hold a qualification in that area of work and all companies are vat registered, so the germans know they are going to have to pay as they are getting a pro frim to do the work, there is little 'white van man tree work' driving down the value of the work.

you can set your price how you want in this free market, but there is always some one who will do it cheaper 'because its a free market' and the majority of customers are not repeat so are looking for the best value, which they perceive is the cheapest. although we all know that this is not always the case,

"people don't have a high value of trees and an hours work on their central heating boiler is worth more than a days pruning!"

If anything watching you work all day pruning for the same price as an hour on the central heating boiler is in itself going to create a perception of arb work being of a much lesser value.

How many qualifications you have or how much kit you have means nothing if you choose to work for 1/8th the rate of a plumber.

If plumbers have organised themselves and stick to their 'industry wide' day rate is it really fair to blame the consumers perception of value?

I think a lot of the problems we have pricing are self-inflicted. Undercutting in my area has got so extreme that many firms work uninsured and used unqualified staff who claim benefits as the norm. There will always be discerning customers who want quality work carried out by bona fide arborist companies, but 75% of them want a cheap price, no questions asked. Local authorities are just as bad, I know one which has contractors who don't even have their CS39 tickets!. All this just lowers standards and prices reflect that. All trades get undercut in a recession, but treework is very much open to it. Be thankful that we don't have to compete with some of our Eastern European guests like the building and agricultural sectors do!

It will depend on what you bring to the party. As a rule I think 2 experienced guys with truck, chipper, rigging and ch8 should be charging £500 plus vat at least. Trouble is that its hard to find truly experienced work five days a week and you will often be pricing against less qualified part time tree guys for the less skilled jobs. I think any anyone charging less than £200 per man day is doing the industry an in-justice.

It will depend on what you bring to the party. As a rule I think 2 experienced guys with truck, chipper, rigging and ch8 should be charging £500 plus vat at least. Trouble is that its hard to find truly experienced work five days a week and you will often be pricing against less qualified part time tree guys for the less skilled jobs. I think any anyone charging less than £200 per man day is doing the industry an in-justice.

Well said the lowest we go is £400 plus vat a day for 2 men and chipper but 500/600 plus vat is the normal rate we get. Which is a fair price for a good days tree surgery we feel.