BS5837 PT Mapper pro

sean

I've not yet got it, but have recently done a lot of research into the other options available and am now saving the pennies for pt mapper. It seems like the best option for me due to ease of use as I don't get on well with computers. It may not be cheap but you don't need a separate cad programme and associated costs. Give them a call, they are very helpful. Alternatively contact James England at [email protected] for other options and comprehensive info on the various handheld data capture devices and software, which he can also supply or loan. Good luck. ..

It depends what you need to achieve.... larger surveys nearly always have a topo that you can manipulate.

I'm not a fan. The best windows mobile type option seems to be Chris Skellern's ArborTrail which has had the price slashed recently.

• 1 month later...

Did you try James England? There isn't much he doesn't know about mapping.

I have done the trial version of PT Mapper and thought it was ok but not great. Quite easy to use but not flexible enough for my liking - the ways you can display trees (using various linetypes, colours, shading etc) is quite limited. Depends what you like I guess.

I use KeyTree and really like it. Downside is it's more expensive and requires some basic CAD knowledge. Keysoft Landscape - KeyTREE

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for info

James England just back from holiday so hopefully will speak with him tomorrow. Just been looking at keyTREE...has some good reviews. Pt mapper pro looking good too.

We want to use software with a Mac and hopefully with the ipads....anybody know if this is possible?

Bit of a rant now.....i cannot believe there are only a couple ofmpeople on the whole forum who have info to share regarding this thread? Where are all the consultants and surveyors:confused1: is there a general apathy with regards sharing information such as i am after.....i truly am bewildered at the lack of help regarding this topic.:confused1:

Thanks for info

James England just back from holiday so hopefully will speak with him tomorrow. Just been looking at keyTREE...has some good reviews. Pt mapper pro looking good too.

We want to use software with a Mac and hopefully with the ipads....anybody know if this is possible?

Bit of a rant now.....i cannot believe there are only a couple ofmpeople on the whole forum who have info to share regarding this thread? Where are all the consultants and surveyors:confused1: is there a general apathy with regards sharing information such as i am after.....i truly am bewildered at the lack of help regarding this topic.:confused1:

No idea about mac compatability. I have now had the pt mapper on demo though. I have tried to use AutoCAD, and while I'm sure it is the best most powerful drawing software, it left me intimidated and bewildered! Pt mapper was fairly easy and intuitive to use, and the customer service some of the best I've ever had; at 5pm on a Friday they remotely controlled my computer while on the phone to me and ran me through nearly an hour of questions so I could use it over the weekend. Compared to other cad programs it may be a little limited but it does what I need it to, easily. I'll be purchasing it this coming week, if I were you I would talk your other options through with J England first though. He may have something more suited to your needs and experience with cad etc.

Having only just started out for a consultancy firm and doing bs5837's, I can honestly say that I have little experience in tree mapping software.

However, in the past month I have been doing them thereis only once we've not had a topo. I don't mind admitting I can quite easily get along with AutoCAD now and don't really find much wrong with it (used with the topo that is).